cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

3D Plots of a summation of infinite series - Heat Transfer

jroth
4-Participant

3D Plots of a summation of infinite series - Heat Transfer

Hello,

I recently purchased the eduacation edition to assist me through graduate school. As such, I have had an interest in re-solving my heat transfer problems from last semester. However, I am having difficulties in solving Theta and plotting Theta for a given boundary conditions.

Attached is my MathCAD sheet along with an execl file which calculates the correct distribution. I have also attached a finite elements excel sheet which correctly predicts the temperature distribution as well. Additionally, I have also attached a MatLab sheet (including jpegs) of the plots I am required to make.

I am mainly focused on the Theta plots right now, and will follow up with the heat flux plots.

I would appreciate any imput in what is wrong with the MathCAD sheet and what I am over looking. The main problem appears to be the theat calculation when given a set of number and that the plot will not occur until this is fixed.

Jake

2 REPLIES 2
AlanStevens
17-Peridot
(To:jroth)

a and b are lengths - you don't really want to set them both to zero! Also, best just to consider one pair at a time.

The calculations will take forever if you sum to infinity! 10 is a pretty good stand in for infinity here! You can play with this limit until you are satisfied you have convergence.

See attached.

Alan

PS Don't confuse x and y values, which will run from 0 to a and 0 to b, with the values of a and b themselves.

jroth
4-Participant
(To:AlanStevens)

Thank you. That greatly helped.

Top Tags