cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

3D Plotting, every axis different units

ptc-5245495
1-Newbie

3D Plotting, every axis different units

Hi everyone,

I have a Problem by 3d plotting a function.

Unfortunally I don't know what the problem is about, I have 3 unit types.

W / m²

m

deg

Z-Axis should be W / m²

x axis m

y axis deg

Could please anybody check my mathcad file and correct the error, or tell me what to do?

In the second step I need to insert a constant surface into the plot, with the value of 100 W / m².

I want to compare the curve from E.IR with the constant surface. Interesting is

every E.IR value which is above the limit of 100 W / m².

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: Here you can see my worksheet, I also attached my mathcad file.

how+to+3D+Plot.jpg

Best Regards,

Alexander

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I would get rid of the range variables and use a special function for E.IR which does the degree radian conversion.

See attached

I would also do the divison by m^2 as in my first sheet so the dislplayed units would be correct, but I haven't changed that in the attached sheet.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Don't think its possible to apply units at abscissa and ordinate - only at the aplicate axis.

While the program is targeted to engineers according to marketing announcements, it sure was not written by or with the help of engineers, which is very sad.

So in your case the plot would say we see W instead of W/m^2.

You could use CreateMesh and divide the third element of the result (its a matrix) by m^2 so that the plot would show at least the correct unit. Not satisfyable in any way.

Ok got you, sad world.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

I calculated everything without units, it worked.

My last problem is to include a constant surface into the 3d plot. It should be at the value of z=100, and be constant regardless of alpha und d.A.

Could you please give me a example how to fix this?

PS: Can you change the alpha values from rad to deg? Would be fine...

Best Regards,

Alexander

Norman Friedman wrote:

Don't think its possible to apply units at abscissa and ordinate - only at the aplicate axis.

correct!

While the program is targeted to engineers according to marketing announcements, it sure was not written by or with the help of engineers, which is very sad.

Agreed on, is disappointing.

You could use CreateMesh and divide the third element of the result (its a matrix) by m^2 so that the plot would show at least the correct unit. Not satisfyable in any way.

That sure would be one way to get the correct unit displayed. I'd rather define a new function E() which is used for plotting only and would take d as dimensionless and add a forced factor 1/m^2 (see my other posting with the attached file).

Its really disappointing. Mathcads plots never had publication quality but what PTC has done with that respect in Prime is inexcusable. The look of the 3D plots is inferiour. Its a big step backwards.

Nevertheless - look if the attached file would help.

3DPlotProblem.png3DPlotProblem2.png

Hi Werner,

thank you very much for your help!

I understand your way theoretical how to fix the problem, formatting the alpha values from rad to deg, but when I try to implement this to my file it won't work

Mathcad showed different error types, when I tried it, most times it was the error, divided by zero.

Could you please help me a last time, and only fix the formatting from rad to deg in my 3d plot? This would be very helpful.

Attached you will find my mathcad file.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Alexander

I would get rid of the range variables and use a special function for E.IR which does the degree radian conversion.

See attached

I would also do the divison by m^2 as in my first sheet so the dislplayed units would be correct, but I haven't changed that in the attached sheet.

Thank you a lot Werner,

I needed to make a rough calculation for a study paper and you helped me!!!

Best Regards,

Alexander

You're welcome!

Top Tags