cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

3D plots

hw3
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

3D plots

Hi all

I'm pretty new to Mathcad so am just learning the ropes. I'm having trouble with creating a 3D surface plot of a function with two variables. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:hw3)

Ben Fulford wrote:

Hi all

I'm pretty new to Mathcad so am just learning the ropes. I'm having trouble with creating a 3D surface plot of a function with two variables. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Ben

The 3D plot algorithm defaults to a range of -5 to +5 over both axes. This results in complex numbers when applied to Npmelt - hence the complaint. You need to manually set the range you want in the 'Quickplot' tab on the 3D plot dialog or use CreateMesh to generate the data. I've attached a worksheet that uses a variant of matrix to create the Npmelt array.

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Ben Fulford wrote:

Hi all

Thanks in advance

Ben

Ben

The 3D plot algorithm defaults to a range of -5 to +5 over both axes. This results in complex numbers when applied to Npmelt - hence the complaint. You need to manually set the range you want in the 'Quickplot' tab on the 3D plot dialog or use CreateMesh to generate the data. I've attached a worksheet that uses a variant of matrix to create the Npmelt array.

Stuart

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't display the 3D plots. They don't even display in the Quicksheets. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Ben Fulford wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't display the 3D plots. They don't even display in the Quicksheets. Is there a setting I need to change somewhere?

What version of Mathcad are you using on which operating system?

Some people have reported similar problems that have been cured by either turning off borders around plots - I don't recall them on your worksheet - or turning off hardware graphics acceleration.

Stuart

Hi,

I'm running Mathcad 15 on Windows 7. Borders are off.

Ben

hw3
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Ah, now borders are off and everything's working great.

Thanks for the help!

Top Tags