cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

A Mathcad User Story - Kudos to Technical Support

DanMarotta
2-Guest

A Mathcad User Story - Kudos to Technical Support

New Mathcad blog, praise for Technical Support from a long time Mathcad user. Also, positive comments about our Mathcad Customer Advocate.

http://bit.ly/91l0Uk

See also Mathcad Strives to Improve Customer Service

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:DanMarotta)

Nice post.

Nice to hear some positive comments for a change.

Remember most people only bother commenting if they have bad experiences, nobody bothers if there's no problems.

Mike

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:DanMarotta)

Nice post.

Nice to hear some positive comments for a change.

Remember most people only bother commenting if they have bad experiences, nobody bothers if there's no problems.

Mike

It's very true Mike. Funny how human nature works like that

I also have a positive license story - though I will insert a negative comment, too

I successfully transferred two MCad v14 licenses to new computers, with no real hitch other than a several hour delay between when I entered my request and when I received my emailed license files. I view that as a big improvement over past interactions with PTC's licensing group.

On the other hand, though, I find the restriction of a single installation per license to be draconian. Most people I know have a desktop & a laptop, both of which are necessary for work. I would be perfectly happy with the restriction that only one copy be active at a time, but to be prevented from even installing on both at the same time is infuriating.

- Guy

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:GuyB)

On the other hand, though, I find the restriction of a single installation per license to be draconian. Most people I know have a desktop & a laptop, both of which are necessary for work. I would be perfectly happy with the restriction that only one copy be active at a time, but to be prevented from even installing on both at the same time is infuriating.

That is an issue, especially when you work away from your desktop or on the move.

Mike

You can set your desktop up for remote virtual desktop. It can be a bit slow but it works. Assuming your laptop has network access while you are working.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Moreton)

I suspect that could be an additional security risk.

With the way our I.T. department perfome I doubt they could manage to get something like this implement. In my own case this wouldn't be a suitable alternative as I often work from a air-card (dongle) and the speed is painfully slow.

Mike

GuyB
2-Guest
(To:Moreton)

If you try this you find that the MCad 14 license prohibits you from running the program from Remote Desktop. You can access it if it has already been started on the host machine (using an active MCad window is OK) but you can't start it.

- Guy

bedmonds
7-Bedrock

Guy -

It is true that PTC 'locked' licenses are tied to one MAC address, or host ID, and can't be installed on more than one computer. That is true of all PTC software products, not just Mathcad. However, Mathcad has something that other PTC software does not - a Home Use license for active maintenance customers. This license is for exactly your needs - one primary license for your desktop at the office, and a second Home Use license for your laptop that you take home/on the road.

If you would like more information on this, please email -. Thanks.

Brent

I've written an email to the address you suggested. I'll be interested to hear what they say.

- Guy

bedmonds
7-Bedrock

Guy, you should have heard from JP and Joey. Have you received what you need for your Home Use licenses?

Brent

Top Tags