cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

About fact2(n)

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

About fact2(n)

Hi,

does fact2 (n) not work? or, isn't correct, the use I make of it?Double factorial.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:-MFra-)

@-MFra- wrote:

I have the impression that you are making confusion. The double factorial is not the factorial of the factorial of n. On Wiki ... there is a broad description.

The number that you show fact2(3) evaluating to is actually (4!)! (620448401733239000000000).   (10!)! is monstrously long.

Do you have anything else defined earlier in your worksheet that might affect the result?

Cheers,

Stuart

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Works for me in M15:

g0.jpg

If I try   fact2(10)=    I get the error message "This variable is not defined".  (It's symbolic only)

Alan

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:AlanStevens)

I also use M15.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Appears to be wrong, see also:https://www.maplesoft.com/support/help/Maple/view.aspx?path=factorial

LucMeekes_0-1592822823434.png

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:LucMeekes)

I have the impression that you are making confusion. The double factorial is not the factorial of the factorial of n. On Wiki ... there is a broad description.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@-MFra- wrote:

The number that you show fact2(3) evaluating to is actually (4!)! (620448401733239000000000).   (10!)! is monstrously long.

Do you have anything else defined earlier in your worksheet that might affect the result?

Cheers,

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:StuartBruff)

there must be interference with something defined in a large reference file, which I am using. In fact, if I use fact2 in a new file without a reference file, everything is fine.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I found the problem. In the definition of the new operator !!,  there was a redefinition of fact2.

Thank you

Top Tags