cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Algebra / Symbolic Question

LeaRebanks
1-Newbie

Algebra / Symbolic Question

Dear All,

Here is an Algebra / Symbolic Question

Given the linear function :-

f(t):- 1/(2.75 + v1) * (t) + 1

of the form Y = M * X + B

If v1 above equals = 0.25

And the time is 12*t :-

So that gives => 1/(2.75 + 0.25) * (12 * t ) + 1

That gives Y = 5

QUESTION:- Is it possible, (and I don’t think it is), to re-write the above function f(t)

so that the ‘B’ above is symbolically replaced with only M and X?

Please advise if this is possible & show symbolical result.

Many thanks for you help attention.

Best regards,

Lea…

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The "form" Y = M*X + B is a generic straight line, M is slope and B is the value of Y when X=0, the "x intercept".

Replacing "X" with "t" does not change the character of the equation. There's only so much you can do.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hello!

Please attach your Mathcad worksheet.

Hi VadimirN,

Many thanks for your reply. I have attached a worksheet on a similar NAMED thread as I was unable to edit / attach files to this / original thread. ( IE Permision not granted - was the message.)

Many thanks for your help & attention,

Best regards,

Lea...

Well, to attach a file to the message you need to use the option "Use advanced editor":

Pic_1.png

Please find enclosed file attachment - Algebra - Symbolic Question

The "form" Y = M*X + B is a generic straight line, M is slope and B is the value of Y when X=0, the "x intercept".

Replacing "X" with "t" does not change the character of the equation. There's only so much you can do.

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for your help & attention to my question.

The answer in your attachment - "straight lines.xmcd" is very good & almost answers my question.

Although I was wondering if it was possible to remove the Y from the right hand side of the equation because I do know the value of M & X in this example.

Best regards,

Lea...

Actually Fred reviewing your answer / attachment still further, I think you have answered my question.

I can use this. Many thanks.

Lea...

Not sure I understand what you mean by "B is symbolically replaced with only M and X." Do you mean you want the function written as f(B) instead, with M, X, and Y as the known values?

Because, as I mentioned earlier, in this example if I know slope / M = 1/(2.75 + 0.25) and X = 12*t...

Then can I re-write the original function of the form Y = M*X + B

to exclude B, but by substituting the components M and X..

For example the rewrite could look like Y = M*X + ( Y - M*X )

but I would like to substitute still further, if possible, to remove the Y from the right side of the equation.

Actually I think Fred Kohlhepp, (in above reply / attachment ), answered my question. Although I was wondering if it was possible to remove the Y from the right hand side of the equation.

Any advice or help gratefully received.

Best regards,

Lea...

Top Tags