cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Always Getting Error 401 During Licence Activation (Student)

gschett
1-Newbie

Always Getting Error 401 During Licence Activation (Student)

Hi,

I always getting this error (picture below). I want to activate my Mathcad 15 but it wont work. My user account won't work the Licence Code is working but then comes the Login and I'm getting this error. What can I do to fix this?

7 REPLIES 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:gschett)

Can you log in to your PTC account (not these forums, but your actual PTC account)?

did you already succeed to solve this problem, as I'm experiencing the same, although I have no problem login in to my PTC account.

Erik

Erik,

You can try the following to:

1. Submit an academic support request, here: http://support.ptc.com/appserver/support/academic_case_logger/academic_case_logger.jsp

2. Use the Mathcad support wizard: Mathcad Support Center

3. Post your issue in "PTC Academic Support" forum: Academic Support

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi Gerhard,

You can use Mathcad support wizard and report about this issue: Mathcad Support Center

jbayles
3-Visitor

Hi Gerhard Schett:  I encountered the same problem recently when I mistakenly thought I could install Mathcad 15 and Prime 1 from my Mathcad disks onto a new laptop so I could take it on the road. This caused both of my tabletop and laptop computer to receive the error 401 and I was locked out of using Mathcad 15 which was working previously just fine on my older tabletop machine. It turns out that Mathcad polls your machine and checks what is called the MAC address. The Mac address is the identification number of your host computer. If they find that you are trying to run your Mathcad program on more than one machine, BAM!! You are locked out of using all of your machines including your original host machine. A very nasty occurrence. A simple you can't do that message would have been more than sufficient. Anyway, I have finally wised up and now am using only the original machine install. Good luck with your error 401! Try browsing the help section if this is not enough.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jbayles)

That is not correct. Your license is locked to the MAC ID of your primary network adapter. Mathcad does not link to any server to verify that the MAC ID is the same as the (latest) one PTC has on record. If you want to migrate Mathcad to a new PC then you need to log in to your PTC account and migrate the license to the new MAC ID. Despite what "move a license" might imply, this does not kill the copy of Mathcad on the old PC (although using it on both PCs will violate the license agreement). One reason you might be getting the 401 error during licensing is that your copy of Mathcad is not linked correctly to your PTC account. If that's the case, then you can't enter the license manager, hence "Unauthorized'. You can easily check this just by logging in and trying to go to license management. If it's not correctly linked, open a licensing case and PTC will fix it for you.

Simply starting Mathcad on your desktop PC could not give you a 401 error from the PTC server. It does not try to link to the server during launch.

Absolutely right.

Top Tags