cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Appearing problem in 2011/2012 tutorials

ptc-5034089
1-Newbie

Appearing problem in 2011/2012 tutorials

My team and I are not in this years competion, so we decided to practice using 2011/2012 tutorials, but inside of PTC MathCAD, we are getting different answers as opposed to the design phase video.

In the Wing Optimization mathcad document, after inputting all the values from the video, we end up with...

semispan=320.76 in

tap= 0.8

dihedral= 1 deg

rootchord=40 in

semi_area(taper, rootchord, semispan, dihedral)=80.178 ft(squared)

But the video gets the values

semispan=352.07 in

tap= 0.8

dihedral= 1 deg

rootchord=36.443 in

semi_area(taper, rootchord, semispan, dihedral)=80.178 ft(squared)

We thought that because the semi_area was the same, we would get the same results as that appears in PTC Creo, but for some strange reason, our wing comes out as being twisted.

I am adding below our results so that you will have more data to help us figure out our problem.

((Sorry, I cannot show you our file with the wing at the moment, windchill is down for the moment. As soon as I can though, I will try and add it later.

2 REPLIES 2

No clue what competition or video you are talking about.

You have four variables to change, two of them are constrained to constant value and so, apart from the range for rootchord, you only have one constraint (semi_area) for two variables. So there are alot of possible "solutions".

It looks like you missed an additional constraint in your solve block.

Werner Exinger wrote:

No clue what competition or video you are talking about...

It seems that talking about video mentioned in this message:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/173517#173519

http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=135016

Top Tags