cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

AutoCad Sketches?

ptc-1348076
1-Newbie

AutoCad Sketches?

Why can't you use AutoCad in MathCad Prime like we have done it before? In engineering, you use sketches to show what you are trying to do. You show where the forces are, the moments, the welds, etc. No sketches means that no one knows what that MathCad Prime solution is all about.

I liked working with MathCad because I could input sketches while still in MathCad. Can anyone help me with this? We use Solidworks and AutoCad at outr facility.

Bill McCormick

4 REPLIES 4

You can insert sketch as a picture in your worksheet.

I would also like an explanation on why this cannot be done like it was using MathCad 14 or 15. Inserting only as a picture will cause my company problems in wasting time tracking and maintaining these items going forward if we are to use Prime 2.0.

We use AutoCad as our main engineering drawing software. Once a drawing/sketch has been completed and then inserted as an object as in the previous mathcad versions, we need not worry about what the original filename or location of that sketch was.

We often have to modify an existing mathcad file for changes to calculations and revise the sketches accordingly. Modifying the existing mathcad sketch was easy as it would open up AutoCad, changes were made, the file was saved and presto the mathcad sketch was updated.

Under MathCad Prime 2.0 it appears that we will have to keep track of autocad filenames used and somehow logically stored in folders associated with the MathCad filenames for future modifications.

The nightmare now continues as there are many drafters who store on their local machine, (although directed to store on the server) the naming convention of the exact detail they might be drawing etc and how someone in the future is to find this exact file to be modified. I forsee that many future sketches will have to be redrawn from scratch for any changes in the calculations.

I see many new improved ideas in MathCad Prime 2.0 that I really like. I have discussed some of these changes with other engineers as to how we can best utilize these features and make mathcad a more useful tool in our organization. But I still wait for an explanation on why AutoCad objects cannot be inserted as they were in the past.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4544924)

I fully understand we're you are coming from. Unfortunatly Prime 2.0 is still missing a lot of features that M15 had. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for future versions of Prime for such features to be added.

Mike

Top Tags