cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Automatic solution of multilayer stady heat transfer as a function of layers number

wzelik
11-Garnet

Automatic solution of multilayer stady heat transfer as a function of layers number

Hi,

I'm looking a way of automatic solution of HT problem with multilayer steady heat transfer with numbers of layer dependency.

I'd like to put n variable as number of materials layer then put thicknes and thermal conductivity as a consequences of layer namber and finally get a solution for n=2,3...k layers. 

HT automatic solution as a number of layers.jpg

Thank you in advance for any idea

I enclose MP 4.0 file.

wzel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:wzelik)

I think the link did that, although yours is complicated by having different equations at the start and end.  But the concept is the same.  Since I can probably use something similar someday, I took a stab at it.  Seems to work - you can add or delete rows to the table. But user beware, etc.

T_start is the temp at the start of a 'plate', and T_end is the temp at the end of a plate.  

HT.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

May by this Mathcad-Websheet is any help for you

http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/MCS/Worksheets/Thermal/T-T-2-Chapter-3-3-3-1.xmcd

Thank you both, Valery and DJF.

The problem is that I have to solve the non-linear equation due convecting and radiation therms which are set as outflow boundary condition.
This is a first step to get interlayer and inflow temperatures.

wzel

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I think the link did that, although yours is complicated by having different equations at the start and end.  But the concept is the same.  Since I can probably use something similar someday, I took a stab at it.  Seems to work - you can add or delete rows to the table. But user beware, etc.

T_start is the temp at the start of a 'plate', and T_end is the temp at the end of a plate.  

HT.jpg

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:DJF)

Note that your solution changes the value of Q.  Might try taking it out of the Find statement

Capture.PNG

I thought that finding Q was the (eventual) point.  If I define the temperatures then Q is a result, not an input.  Otherwise I'd need to change thicknesses or heat transfer.  Original post solved for Q, but never called it that - they just set the equations for Q equal to each other.  But I didn't study it very hard so maybe I'm not understanding their question.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:DJF)

I understand the confusion.

If you have the inside/outside temperatures given, then solving for Q and the layer by layer makes sense and should work.

If you set Q (and wither the inside OR the outside temperature), then you can solve for the whole temperature set.

I didn't realize you were solving the first problem.  Sorry!

Hi,

Thank you DJF, your solution work perfectly.

I have overlooked my own mistake in first post. In quadratic part of radiation therms should be plus instead minus.

I have checked solution with my old maple mathapps. The results are the same.

Below comparison of 3 and 4 layer solution done in MathCad and Maple.

Q vaule is also correct. it is no surpise beocuse Q=4000W is starting point for looking solution.

Thank you once again.

wzel

sol1.jpg  

conf_sol1.jpgsol2.jpgconf_sol2.jpg

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I think this is similar to a problem I posted here (N orifices in series).

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Questions/Solve-block-for-N-inputs/m-p/484610#M173308

See MJG's solution - the trick is in the 'stack'ing of the pressures.

Top Tags