cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Autosave on 15 not working

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Autosave on 15 not working

I have been working on a document for several hours.  I set auto save at 4 minutes and got a popup every 4 minutes with the save address on it.  At the end of that time I closed the system down, came back later, opened the file and nothing had been saved.  I looked in the default save location and the file was not there either.  This is a serious problem.  I have raised the issue with my reseller but not sure what they can do.  Anyone else had this problem ?  PTC needs to look at this.  I noticed the save address on the popup said Mathcad 14.  I have Mathcad 15.  The reseller said this could be the problem but offered no solution.  

2 REPLIES 2
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Joeboy)

Normally, when you activate autosave, there is no popup everytime the file is saved.

What was the popup with the save adress telling you? Could it be that you were informed about problems writing the file at that location? maybe because of insufficent right or a disc full error, or ...

The usual path to the autosave files is something like  ..<user directory>\application data\Mathsoft\Mathcad\14\Autosave\xxxxxxxxx.xmcd

The filename xxxxxxxxxxx includes a representation of you original files drive, path and filename.

Did you look at that place for the autosaved file?

It is absolutely OK and normal that it still says "Mathsoft" and version "14" in the path to the autosaved files, even though its version 15 by PTC..

> At the end of that time I closed the system down

What does this mean? Did you close Mathcad the normal way? It should have asked if you want it to save the file. Whatever you answer here, Mathcad accepts your decision and the autosave file will be deleted as its not necessary anymore! Either you decide not to save the file because you don't need it or you saved the file and so would not be in need for the autosved version.

Just in case of a crash (or if you "close" Mathcad via taskmanger which simulates a crash) you would be asked on the next start of Mathcad if you want to continue editing the autosaved file.

The Autosave feature in Mathcad was a life saver for me more than once and its a shame that this feature is missing (as so many others) in Prime.

WE

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Dixie, as per Werner's note, the path is likely to be the problem, especially in corporate networked environments.

It is quite common for the combined path length to exceed the basic Windows 260 character limit.

Try either shortening the local file name, or more likely, map a drive at the parent folder so the path looks shorter.

Look for the autosave directory - mine's at "C:\Users\pjo\AppData\Roaming\Mathsoft\Mathcad\14\Autosave\J#C#SUser area#SPhilipOakley#SVariable xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAug2015)#Sxxxxxxxx#Sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#Dxxxxxxxxx" (true filenames redacted by character overwrite with x.

That example is 224 characters inc the quotes. If you have a full dixie.griffin username, and more descriptive path directory names that length limit can soon catch you out.

Top Tags