Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base Conversion

Base Conversion

Knowledgable Colabs:

I have a stupid little calculator, that when asked will convert a number to base 2, 8, 16 etc. within its ability to write letters for 'digits' greater than 9.

I have Stuarts file "Boolean operators" posted somewhere on thir forum, but afaik, it uses vectors and base 10 numbers for higher bases, rather than the alphabet letters.

Does not MCad have functions for base conversion? Would someone please point me to those nice built in functions. Can we not do standard arithmetic in base 2 or 8 or 16?

I already know about inputing numbers in those bases. But i want to input in base 10 and get out base 2 or 16 specifically. Fortunately, the days of using a DataGeneral computer are passed and octal is unusual.

narlin
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Base Conversion

On 11/10/2005 9:01:20 AM, Narlin wrote:
>Does not MCad have functions for base conversion?

Not as far as I'm aware, Narlin, but ...

>Can we not do standard arithmetic in base 2 or 8 or 16?
>I already know about inputing numbers in those bases. But i want to input in base 10 and get out base 2 or 16 specifically.

You can use the in-built Mathcad result display option:

Menu: Format/Result (or double click on a result)
on the resulting(!) dialog, select Radix under the tab Display Options - you can even have octal.

>I have Stuarts file "Boolean operators" posted somewhere on thir forum, but afaik, it uses vectors and base 10 numbers for higher bases, rather than the alphabet letters.

There's another variant at http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?68541,12

The file Boolean Operators.mcd does letter conversion as well, but as the string is returned in quotes that it still looks weird, unless you want to employ a tailored text box.

Stuart
Highlighted

Base Conversion

Mathcad can handle binary, decimal, otcal, and hexidecimal. To dispaly a result, select format/result/display options/radix.

To input a result use b for binary (11b = 3)
o for octal, and h for hexidecimal
Fred Kohlhepp
fkohlhepp@sikorsky.com
Highlighted

Base Conversion

Mathcad until version 11 (included) can handle any conversion. The secret is Maple...

Highlighted

Re: Base Conversion

Although Mathcad can do arithmetic with numbers in a few bases, there is apparently no facility to specify a variable as binary or hexadecimal, for example.

TIA
- David
Highlighted

@dallen-3 wrote:

Although Mathcad can do arithmetic with numbers in a few bases, there is apparently no facility to specify a variable as binary or hexadecimal, for example.

Back more than a decade ago, when this thread was started, sure there was. In Mathcad 15 you can specify binary, haexadecimal or octal as an input or result:

binary.png

Then PTC took over, and gave us Mathcad Prime Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Well,..... Had they actually given it, there would be less of a problem.

But they're trying to sell it instead of Mathcad.

Announcements