cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best solution in Mathcad needed!

SOLVED

Re: Best solution in Mathcad needed!

@LucMeekes wrote:

I've seen more math problems like this...

angles DAB and CDA are 90deg, so we know that AB and CD run in parallel, but the length of CD is not given, and neither is the length of CB. There's no telling if CB runs in parallel of AD.

I doubt if the problem can be solved with just knowing the sum of angles psi and theta. If not, I'm afraid the problem cannot be solved.

Luc

Hmmm, somewhat sophistic and quibbling, but definitely correct 😉

All we could say with the original specification is that x is in the range from 5 to 15.

In the meantime Valery has added (much too much 😉 additional specifications (one of the additional right angels or one of the additional lengths would suffice).

ani2.gif

P.S.: Its a thread by Valery, so it definitely needed an animation 🙂

@Werner_E wrote:

In the meantime Valery has added (much too much 😉 additional specifications (one of the additional right angels or one of the additional lengths would suffice).

Yes,  much too much. Simply stating that ABCD is a rectangle would have sufficed...

P.S.: Its a thread by Valery, so it definitely needed an animation 🙂

Certainly!

Luc

To Werner: Thanks for animation but better to have the x(CD) plot.

To Luc: May be it is not 2D but 3D problem - see please Wire Sculpture

Dear Werner,

despite the tone used with me is that of a discussion between friends, I want to remind you that I am seventy-one years old and that I am not your student.

@-MFra- wrote:

Dear Werner,

despite the tone used with me is that of a discussion between friends, I want to remind you that I am seventy-one years old and that I am not your student.

???

I have no idea what you are talking about!?

And your post was a reply to a post of mine which was a reply to Luc's remark about Valery's sketch missing some specification.

And I can not find a message from myself that would allow to conclude that I treated you as a student (whatever that may mean).

Surely you can not be offended if I call a wrong solution (very cautious anyway) wrong, right?

As I wrote in a reply to Valery my guess that the equations are dependent seems to be wrong and it now looks to me that you will get the correct solution if you replace sin(delta) in your solve block by sin (phi-gamma0).

that is my impression when you mention me in your comments.

I'm sorry, but you have a wrong impression.
I am glad that you could not call a specific passage in which I was supposedly rude.

@-MFra- wrote:

Dear Werner,

This forum is (or used to be) a friendly place to get help, exchange ideas, display humor (look for Valerie's April Fool's submissions); in all the time I've been involved I believe one person has been banned for foul language.

I have been helped, shown my mistakes, and berated for my beliefs.  I consider this a place for interaction.  It's been a long time since my occupation was "student,"  but I usually learn something every time I join.  I believe that if you look at Werner's posts you will find that he generally treats everyone as a colleague, not trying to belittle their efforts.

I encourage you to reexamine the post that you took offense with, consider you're having a discussion rather than listening to a lecture!

I am also 71 years old, but I often turn out to be a student of Werner, Luc, Fred, Alan and many other experienced comrades, and I am not offended by this.

The reason may be that for You and Werner English is a non-native language.

All right, you're all nice people. 

Announcements