cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Better simplification

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Better simplification

Hello everyone. There is someone who kindly can tell me what to do to get a better simplification?

simplifymax.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:-MFra-)

You are symbolically evaluating an equation, not a math expression, and so the result can only be TRUE or FALSE, in Mathcad thats 1 or 0.

The rectangular command applies to the result of the whole calculation (0 or 1).

So if Q=1/3 is TRUE (1) we have  Re(1)+Im(1)*j=1+0j=1 -> that's TRUE

If Q=1/3 is FALSE (0) we have Re(0)+Im(0)*j=0+0j=0 -> that's FALSE.

So Mathcad is perfectly right - it gives you the truth value as commanded in rectangular form.

What you expected to see can be easily achieved by "assume, omega.0=real" or, if that applies, by "assume, ALL=real".

Sometimes a "simplify" or "simplify, max" is additionally needed and ever so often muPad refuses to give us the results we expect and need - bad luck.

Regards,

Werner

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

limit.PNG

Don't ask me why!!

Alan

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:AlanStevens)

Thanks for the tip!

If , however, I write the expression as in the figure, mathcad gives me an unwanted response. You can do something to get the correct solution?

Thank you very much again.

F. M.

simplifymax.jpg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Done! thanks anyway!

simplifymax.jpg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Thanks for the tip!

If , however, I write the expression as in the figure, mathcad gives me an unwanted response. You can do something to get the correct solution?

Thank you very much again.

F. M.

simplifymax.jpg

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

You are symbolically evaluating an equation, not a math expression, and so the result can only be TRUE or FALSE, in Mathcad thats 1 or 0.

The rectangular command applies to the result of the whole calculation (0 or 1).

So if Q=1/3 is TRUE (1) we have  Re(1)+Im(1)*j=1+0j=1 -> that's TRUE

If Q=1/3 is FALSE (0) we have Re(0)+Im(0)*j=0+0j=0 -> that's FALSE.

So Mathcad is perfectly right - it gives you the truth value as commanded in rectangular form.

What you expected to see can be easily achieved by "assume, omega.0=real" or, if that applies, by "assume, ALL=real".

Sometimes a "simplify" or "simplify, max" is additionally needed and ever so often muPad refuses to give us the results we expect and need - bad luck.

Regards,

Werner

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you very much. ...

The solution was so simple ...

trying again and again we'd all arrived ....

Greetings

F. M.

Top Tags