cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Bug in Mathcad 15 M030 (symbolics)

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Bug in Mathcad 15 M030 (symbolics)

I would call this behavior a bug. The integral is only found if the symbolics is forced to float mode (it also happens if you use the "float" keyword).

Does anybody know when it was introduced or can anybody confirm the bug in earlier versions of Mathcad than M15 M030?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

‌It works in M13 and earlier, but not in M14.

Alan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I do believe that in the past you have requested users to post their worksheets, because we (in this case "we" includes both you and I) don't like to (a.k.a. are too lazy to) retype stuff

Richard Jackson wrote:

I do believe that in the past you have requested users to post their worksheets, because we (in this case "we" includes both you and I) don't like to (a.k.a. are too lazy to) retype stuff

Hmm, wasn't that the case with much longer sheets and expressions? Its so much easier to insert pictures just by cut and paste (the only improvement in the new forum).

Anyway, here's the sheet 😉

I hardly can image that I would not have come across that bug in the past, so I suspect it to be a rather newly introduced "feature". But then, I may be wrong.

‌It works in M13 and earlier, but not in M14.

Alan

AlanStevens wrote:

It works in M13 and earlier, but not in M14.

Alan

Thanks! So its really an older bug which was present from the very beginning (of muPad).

The bug is also present in Prime, of course

Werner

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Hmm, wasn't that the case with much longer sheets and expressions?

Maybe. Or maybe I'm just lazier than you

It's obviously a bug. I was going to try it in MC13 and MC11, but I see Alan got there before me. I thought it would probably work with the Maple engine, but it wasn't impossible the problem was with how Mathcad parsed it.

The Mupad engines handling of definite integrals is so poor it's comical, and this is just another example. You are often better off solving the indefinite integral and substituting the limits by hand:

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Hmm, wasn't that the case with much longer sheets and expressions?

Maybe. Or maybe I'm just lazier than you

It's obviously a bug. I was going to try it in MC13 and MC11, but I see Alan got there before me. I thought it would probably work with the Maple engine, but it wasn't impossible the problem was with how Mathcad parsed it.

The Mupad engines handling of definite integrals is so poor it's comical, and this is just another example. You are often better off solving the indefinite integral and substituting the limits by hand:

It must surely be long past the time when PTC get rid of MuPad (and its associate licencing restrictions on what functions/operators can be used and how).   There are enough symbolic engines floating around out there now that it's likely one would be a potential (and available) candidate ... they could even consider adding Python as a scripting engine for the Prime "components", and get licencing for SymPi.

Stuart

I have the same result in Mathcad 15 M040 service release.

Top Tags