cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Calculating Pile Angle from a reference Pile Within a Pile Group

ptc-5086232
1-Newbie

Calculating Pile Angle from a reference Pile Within a Pile Group

Good Afternoon Community,

Would anybody please help me with attached file. My goal is to calculate the spacing and the angle in a 3 X 3 pile group assuming each pile as a reference point, my spacing is correct but my angles are wrong. In the attached work sheet the correct angle zeta is shown as disable and the incorrect values are shown beside it. And also I would like to calculate the settlement of the pile group assuming the vertical force carried by the jth pile, please see the equations below the attached file and see if you could help. Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

Boyer

5 REPLIES 5

How are you calculating the "correct" values of zeta (I think it's actually xi)? If you take the values of Xpile and Ypile, and use the definition of zeta, then the Mathcad results are "correct"? Maybe Xpile and Ypile need to be re-defined?

Right now, Xpile and Ypile are the same. I think one needs to be (0 0 0 sp sp sp 2sp 2sp 2sp) and the other (0 sp 2sp 0 sp 2sp 0 sp 2sp). Also, keep in mind that the range of atan(x) is from -90deg to 90deg.

The program for alpha_V contains a call to the function alpha, but that's undefined.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-5086232)

Xpile and Ypile are the same. Therefore either the angle is zero (Xpile[i=Xpile[j), or the angle is atan(1)=45 degrees. If you want other angles then Xpile cannot be equal to Ypile.

1) First I guess your two coordinate vectors X.pile and Y.pile should not be identical as they are in your sheet (this would mean you have just three piles and every one of them is three one on top of the other.

2) The otherwise statement in the routine to calculate the angles is not assigning any value to xi (which doesn't hurt as you want the angle to be zero then and thats the defaulz for not assigned matrix elements). You should use atan2 instead of atan, otherwise your results will only be in the range from -90° to +90°. atan2 gives you results in the range -180° to +180°, which is obviously what you need.

See if the attached file helps.

Good Morning Werner,

Thank you so much for your help. The attached file is based on a 3 X 3 pile group arranged at S = 5 ft. My problem is a pile group with scattered pile layout without proper pile row and pile column. My pile layout is in the attached. My goal is to solve for alpha and the rest of the dynamic parameters using the generated S-values and theta-values in Equations 1, 2, and 3. Please help.

Regards,

Boyer

Good Morning Werner,

Hmm, its 18:30 here

My pile layout is in the attached.

There is no attachment, but as long as you enter the correct coordinates for X.pile and Y.pile, the sheet should give the correct values (presuming I interpreted correct what you wanted to calculate).

Top Tags