cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Calculating a derivative of an array

rsulwinski
1-Newbie

Calculating a derivative of an array

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to calculate a derivative of an array in Mathcad without fitting a function to the data set. A have an expression of a form: sigma(x,y):=A*F,x(x,y), where A is a constant, and F(x,y) is a function of x and y which is defined with a data set/array (data imported from Finite Element Analysis). I would like to calculate a derivative of F(x,y) with respect to x.  

Best regards

Rafal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:rsulwinski)

Hi Rafal,

You should create a program that performs the following operation:

derivata approssimata di una funzione rispetto a x.jpg

For Rafal.jpg

Regards

F. M.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

If you have a set of discrete points finite difference techniques will give you an approximation of the derivative.

There are fitting functions in Mathcad, numerous options.  To get a true derivative you need a function.  (I believe.)

You are right Fred. Finite difference is one option. When it comes to function fitting, the Mathcad quick sheet "Using Regress: Multivariate Regression" contains a procedure on how to fit a n-dimensional data to a higher order polynomial. 

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi Rafal,

You should create a program that performs the following operation:

derivata approssimata di una funzione rispetto a x.jpg

For Rafal.jpg

Regards

F. M.

Thank you very much! This is exactly was I was looking for! It is quite a procedure, very impressive. The program will allow me to calculate a derivative of the solution data imported from FEA.

Best regards

Rafal

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Does this help?

And very simple:

The parabola gives a straight line, the straight line gives a constant.

Success!

Luc

Hi Luc,

Thank you for your reply. Your program indeed works, but it can only deal with a function of one variable F(x). My problem was defined as a function of two variables F(x,y).

F.M. provided a program can deal with a function of two variables, therefore I have selected his answer as the correct one. 

Best regards

Rafal

Top Tags