cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Calculations using Temperatures

Heavenly
1-Newbie

Calculations using Temperatures

I am trying to do a simple calculation using a coefficient of thermal expansion. But the result is not as expected. The units of thermal expansion coefficient are in/in/deg F.

I attached a sample spreadsheet in Mathcad 15. The answer should be 0.936in but I cant seem to get that. What am I doing wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

7 REPLIES 7

See te attach!

wayne
3-Visitor
(To:Heavenly)

David,

for the temperature change, delta T, you need to use the unit "delt degree F", as you did for alpha: degree F by it iself relates to absolute 0 in Kelevin or 256K

Heavenly
1-Newbie
(To:wayne)

Thanks that worked.

See more correct alpha units in attach!

Wayne Reid wrote:

David,

for the temperature change, delta T, you need to use the unit "delt degree F", as you did for alpha: degree F by it iself relates to absolute 0 in Kelevin or 256K

Sorry, but "delt degree F" is one stupid units (in Mathcad). We must use not "delt degree F" but R (rankine) or K (kelvin). Same with "delt degree C".

Valery,

Thanks, but the guy is just dealing with thermal expansion, and the unit works a intended. I have no doubt you are correct, but in the structural industry, in the US, alpha is normally in C or F and we generally only need the expected maximum change in temperature; Strictly correct or not, "delta degree F" for this application is fine.

Anyway, your fast.

Wayne

Wayne Reid wrote:

Valery,

Thanks, but the guy is just dealing with thermal expansion, and the unit works a intended. I have no doubt you are correct, but in the structural industry, in the US, alpha is normally in C or F and we generally only need the expected maximum change in temperature; Strictly correct or not, "delta degree F" for this application is fine.

Anyway, your fast.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I know it!

>but in the structural industry, in the US, alpha is normally in C or F

See above the Mathcad-sheet with an error

Top Tags