cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Can I writetext or writeexcel with units?

smitchell-2
4-Participant

Can I writetext or writeexcel with units?

I'm trying to output mathcad results as excel or text files so I can imbed them in word, but it seems to me it only allows you to write dimensionless numbers? Is there a betterway to do what I am trying to do?

eg I want a word document that says;

"In conclusion, the Area is 2 in^2"

where the number is calculated by mathcad. (the report is way too complex to do in mathcad alone, I need heading styles, tables of contents, image references, bibliographies etc. etc.)

3 REPLIES 3

Good day Steven -

Moving this to the Mathcad community to give it the right exposure.

Best,

Toby

Prime 4.0 is supposed to be able to paste into Word with formatting intact; since I haven't gotten that yet I can't say.

As someone who has pasted Mathcad into Word for a long time, the best way I've seen ('til now) is to copy (in Mathcad 15 and earlier) and "paste special" into Word as a bit map or a picture file.  In Prime, the snipping tool has been useful.  For large areas (full pages) you might consider printing as PDF but there can be a resolution cost.

Thanks.

I was afraid that may be the answer. I've pasted long runs of calculation straight into word (prime 4.0 trial). The format is intact, except it seems to have trouble paginating. I tried pasting it into a single cell table, and it paginates beautifully, but loses indentations etc. I ended up pasting directly and inserting my own page breaks, its a workaround, but it worked.

So my long runs of calculations are good, but littered throughout the document are lines like "therefore " this and "in conclusion" that, etc. Since they are single numbers buried in long paragraphs, I left them as word paragraphs, I was hoping there was a way to link the number to the mathcad variable, even if it was a two step process (mathcad - > excel/csv/txt -> word) but all my outputs have dimensions, and I can't seem to get mathcad to output them (I get a 'these units are not compatible' error).

I guess I will just have to read through the word document and manually update the one liners, or continue my search for a calculation reporting program...

Top Tags