cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Can't Download Mathcad 15 to be able to convert older documents to prime

NicMeyer
1-Newbie

Can't Download Mathcad 15 to be able to convert older documents to prime

My son bought mathcad Prime for a class. The teacher told him to buy an older version from an older student, that Prime would just cause him problems, but he insisted on having the newest version and it was only $99.

The class uses a lot of older sheets as examples. My son can open none of them, because the converter requires mathcad 15. We have followed every link we can find in the documentation, but every one seems to require either a) a Mathcad 15 product ID, which we do not have or b) some expensive annual technical support account, which we have no desire to buy.

PTC has not yet responded, in part because, again, it seems to require some kind of paid product support even to file a help request. We emailed them, but I guess since we are not paying extra money we may not get an answer. Any help?

13 REPLIES 13

By the way, maybe half the links in the "welcome" email PTC sent us were broken, and many of the links in the help pdf's are broken. What is the deal with this company?

Here's a direct link to the PDF-file "Mathcad Prime 1.0 Migration Guide" (guide will help you convert your old files in the version of Mathcad Prime): http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/121272/en/Mathcad_Prime_Migration_Guide_en-US.pdf

P.S. Also, the link to "Mathcad Prime 1.0 Installation and Administration Guide": http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/120741/en/Mathcad_Prime_Installation_Guide_en-US.pdf

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:NicMeyer)

While this is not the answer, you could try downloading a 30day trial version of Mathcad 15.

Mathcad 15.0: http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-15-0/free-trial.htm

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:NicMeyer)

My son bought mathcad Prime for a class. The teacher told him to buy an older version from an older student, that Prime would just cause him problems, but he insisted on having the newest version and it was only $99.

Where did he but it from?

Mike

The class uses a lot of older sheets as examples. My son can open none of them, because the converter requires mathcad 15.

Mathcad Prime 1.0 is not really a new version of Mathcad 15 (MC15). Rather, it is a new product that looks kind of like the old Mathcad. The full version of Prime includes MC15, but I suspect that the student version of Prime does not.

There are a lot of incompatibility issues converting from MC15 to Prime 1.0 as many features in MC15 are still not supported in Prime. So, even if you do get MC15 to use in the conversion, the worksheets will likely still have issues and require some re-working.

This may sound painful, but your son shouold have listened to the teacher.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:MichaelH)

There are a lot of incompatibility issues converting from MC15 to Prime 1.0 as many features in MC15 are still not supported in Prime. So, even if you do get MC15 to use in the conversion, the worksheets will likely still have issues and require some re-working.

And, to make matters worse, Mathcad 15 (or earlier versions) cannot read any worksheet created in Prime, and there is no way to convert backwards. So maybe the teacher will not be able to read any worksheet your son creates anyway.

It says here: http://store.ptc.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=232679900

that the student edition includes MC15 M010. Check if it's on the CD. If it is, install that, and just forget about Prime.

that the student edition includes MC15 M010. Check if it's on the CD. If it is, install that, and just forget about Prime.

That's good advice. I have Prime 1.0 on my PC, but after a few trial worksheets, I'm going to stick with MC15 until Prime gets a lot better.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MichaelH)

I have Prime 1.0 on my PC, but after a few trial worksheets, I'm going to stick with MC15 until Prime gets a lot better.

I have stuck with M15 for the time being, but occasionally convert the worksheet to Prime just to see the behavior and compatibility issues. I would reccommend getting use to the functions and layout of Prime as Prime is the future of Mathcad.

Mike

Nic Meyer wrote:

The class uses a lot of older sheets as examples. My son can open none of them, because the converter requires mathcad 15. We have followed every link we can find in the documentation, but every one seems to require either a) a Mathcad 15 product ID, which we do not have or b) some expensive annual technical support account, which we have no desire to buy.

PTC has not yet responded, in part because, again, it seems to require some kind of paid product support even to file a help request. We emailed them, but I guess since we are not paying extra money we may not get an answer. Any help?

Send me please your Mathcad 15 files and my students try to convert into Mathcad Prime!

Nic,

Mathcad Prime 1.0 comes with Mathcad 15 M050. The same license works for both of them. You can download the trial version of Mathcad 15 M010 (the current version) from http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-15-0/free-trial.htm. Then use your current license.

There are some features in Mathcad 15 that are not yet in the Mathcad Prime software series. There are also some new features in Mathcad Prime 1.0, that are not in Mathcad 15. We are redesigning the user interface, equation editor, plots, and other features.

Mona

I downloaded the $99 student edition of Prime which comes with a setup for Mathcad 15. However, the product code works only for Prime. It is considered invalid for 15.

Matthew,

I just checked and confirmed that the license that comes with the student Mathcad Prime 1.0 is good for Mathcad 15 as well, so your son can use either version of the program. Theinstructions that come with the student version of Mathcad Prime 1.0 explain how to use the license for Mathcad 15.

Good luck to both of you!

Mona

Nic, the installation and licensing instructions that came with Prime 1.0 includes instructions on how to use the same license file for both Prime 1.0 and 15.0. You may find the latest instructions on our Licensing FAQ site.

Top Tags