cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Can't Open MCDX

DC_9604081
4-Participant

Can't Open MCDX

For some reason MathCAD sheets I have created and used in the past are now not opening. I have MathCAD prime 5.0 and the files are mcdx. Not sure why the file is not opening for me when my coworkers have no problem with it, also using 5.0. I would like to be able to use the sheets I have created before with helpful calculations. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am just poking around, but have you tried to copy the file from the shared network folder to a local drive and open from there? I remember some times ago a user here had a similar problem (can't remember if he got the same error message, though) which could ultimately be traced back to a problem with his network rights.

After all it looks like you can open the files you created and saved yourself, but not the ones others have saved to the shared drive.

You may also try if you can open the file from within your first post in this thread.

I opened the file (the one you attached in your first post) with Prime 5 and simply re-saved it. I attach it here for whatever it may be worth. Give it a try.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@DC_9604081 wrote:

For some reason MathCAD sheets I have created and used in the past are now not opening. I have MathCAD prime 5.0 and the files are mcdx. Not sure why the file is not opening for me when my coworkers have no problem with it, also using 5.0. I would like to be able to use the sheets I have created before with helpful calculations. Please help!

I just gave it a try and had no problems opening your sheet with Prime 5.
So the problem seems not to be with the worksheet.

Is there any error message you get when you try to open it?

DC_9604081
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Yes, the error code is below:
[image: image.png]

Something went wrong when you tried to insert the picture. I only see the text "[image: image.png]" but no picture.

You may either embed it in the text (use the "Insert Photos" icon or do it via cut and paste; I guess drag an drop should work, too)

or attach it using the option at the bottom of the edit window, like the Prime worksheet you posted.

Have you tried to reinstall Prime 5? Can you open other Prime 5 worksheets?

DC_9604081
4-Participant

Okay, trying this again! Please see the error message attached.

DC_9604081_0-1598016902605.png

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Prime 5.0, rebooted, and i'm having the same problem. Currently, it's not opening any sheets that I have used before other than one I created yesterday. Since it could not open the One-Way slab analysis file that I attached in the first message, I had a coworker create a PDF of it for me and I created a new Mathcad sheet just walking through the procedure. That is the only Mathcad file that it opens and doesn't show an error message for right now. (This file is attached as well). Hopefully this helps.

DC_9604081
4-Participant
(To:DC_9604081)

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

What does the log file say?

(I only need to see the first 20 or so lines, don't include all your PC stuff and loaded module traceback.)

Luc

DC_9604081
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

File location : C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception_20200821_075447.log

Build Number : 2018.08.05.001
System Culture : en-US; Current UI Culture : en-US
Architecture: x64
Application version is: PTC Mathcad Prime 5.0.0.0
Current license type is: NoLicense

Exception data:
File being opened: G:\Shared drives\SES\+2020 Projects\20-044 Gibson Guitar RTUs\Engineering\Software\Dr's Pavilion - One-Way Slab Analysis.mcdx
FileFormatException when processing file
System.IO.FileFormatException: File contains corrupted data.
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenPackageStream(String fullFilePath)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenPackage(FileLoadResult& result, String fileName, Boolean newFromDocument)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenFileAndUpdateCWDState(String fileName)

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite

I have Prime 6.0 and it opened without a problem. So the file is not corrupted. Wish I could be of more help.

DC_9604081
4-Participant
(To:Derbigdog)

Yep, it's not the file. I have no idea why I can't open the basic files and I reinstalled the program to try 6.0 and 5.0. Same issue. All I can open are new blank sheets or the sheet I created yesterday after reinstalling. PTC isn't any help because I don't have the paid version. Thanks for the thoughts and maybe I can get it working again at some point.

I am just poking around, but have you tried to copy the file from the shared network folder to a local drive and open from there? I remember some times ago a user here had a similar problem (can't remember if he got the same error message, though) which could ultimately be traced back to a problem with his network rights.

After all it looks like you can open the files you created and saved yourself, but not the ones others have saved to the shared drive.

You may also try if you can open the file from within your first post in this thread.

I opened the file (the one you attached in your first post) with Prime 5 and simply re-saved it. I attach it here for whatever it may be worth. Give it a try.

DC_9604081
4-Participant

Not going to lie, that worked. I can open it from my desktop. That's frustrating, but much better than not being able to use the sheets I created. Thank you so much your help and sticking with it, thinking of anything you could.

Glad that at least you found a workaround.

Not sure why it doesn't work from the network share - I assume you have write privilege for the directory where the file is stored. Maybe its the character "+" in the path, but trying it at a local directory, Prime had not problems with a directory containing that character.

Maybe your IT man can be of help as obviously opening a file with Prime requires you to automatically also have the privilege to modify/write to it

Top Tags