cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Can the solve block be used with vectors

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Can the solve block be used with vectors

In the attached Mathcad Prime 3.1 worksheet I am attempting to determine the valve of c such that the vectors Fs and C add to zero. This requires the use of vectors in the solve block, is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daniel,

Yes, you can use vectors in the solve block. See my attached worksheet. Note a couple of things:

1. You need to put guess values for Fs and C, since they are not defined elsewhere in the worksheet and their values will depend upon c.

2. Your last constraint shows sum(Fs)+C=0. If I understand your initial question, you are only looking for the sum of the vectors to equal a zero vector. As you now have the constraint, the solve block will take the sum of the values in Fs (resulting in a scalar value) and then add that to each value in the vector C. I don't think that's what you want. So I removed the summation operator.

Hopefully that helps!

Luke

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:dsochor)

Yes, it's possible, but unfortunately I can't read a Prime 3.1 sheet so I can't tell you why it's not working for you.

dsochor
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

I'm sorry Richard, I'll post it in Prime 3.1 and Mathcad 15 in future questions.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

You can also save your worksheet as a PDF & XPS files for previewing to other.

Hi Daniel,

Yes, you can use vectors in the solve block. See my attached worksheet. Note a couple of things:

1. You need to put guess values for Fs and C, since they are not defined elsewhere in the worksheet and their values will depend upon c.

2. Your last constraint shows sum(Fs)+C=0. If I understand your initial question, you are only looking for the sum of the vectors to equal a zero vector. As you now have the constraint, the solve block will take the sum of the values in Fs (resulting in a scalar value) and then add that to each value in the vector C. I don't think that's what you want. So I removed the summation operator.

Hopefully that helps!

Luke

dsochor
5-Regular Member
(To:lwestbrook)

Thank you Luke. Might you know why the program doesn't work when an absolute value is added to the definition of Fs?

Looks to me that by putting absolute value in the equation, none of the values for Fs will be negative. And since C won't have any negative values, either, the addition of the two vectors cannot equal zero, as required by the last parameter.

dsochor
5-Regular Member

You're right, I was trying to determine while it does not solve. I made that correction but it still doesn't work.

dsochor
5-Regular Member

A summation of Fs fixed it!

dsochor
5-Regular Member

Is it possible to use the minimum function to create a vector of the minimum line-by-line between of two or more vectors?

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Please find your edited worksheet in attachment.

please tell me about what is matcad

Top Tags