cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Can you solve with Mathcad this system of equations?

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Can you solve with Mathcad this system of equations?

A good sample of cash payments can be found in the "Bourgeois Gentilhomme” by Moliere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Bourgeois_gentilhomme).

DORANTE: Do you remember well all the money you have lent me?

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: I believe so. I made a little note of it. Here it is. Once you were given two hundred louis d'or.

DORANTE: That's true.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: Another time, six-score.

DORANTE: Yes.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: And another time, a hundred and forty.

DORANTE: You're right.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: These three items make four hundred and sixty louis d'or, which comes to five thousand sixty livres

DORANTE: The account is quite right. Five thousand sixty livres.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: One thousand eight hundred thirty-two livres to your plume-maker.

DORANTE: Exactly.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: Two thousand seven hundred eighty livres to your tailor.

DORANTE: It's true.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: Four thousand three hundred seventy-nine livres twelve sols eight deniers to your tradesman.

DORANTE: Quite right. Twelve sols eight deniers. The account is exact.

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: And one thousand seven hundred forty-eight livres seven sols four deniers to your saddler.

DORANTE: All that is true. What does that come to?

MONSIEUR JOURDAIN: Sum total, fifteen thousand eight hundred livres.

DORANTE: The sum total is exact: fifteen thousand eight hundred livres. To which add two hundred pistoles that you are going to give me, which will make exactly eighteen thousand francs, which I shall pay you at the first opportunity.

What is it six-score? (in Russian translation I see 120 louis d'or).

What is relation between louis d'or, livres, sols, deniers, pistoles and francs?

9 REPLIES 9

score = 20, e.g, "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation" from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

That one was easy.

French currency is much more complicated, since it seems to be highly dependent on what specific year the text was written in

TTFN

Merci and see my solution. Is it ok or there is another solution?

money.png

Mo Det wrote:

score = 20, e.g, "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation" from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Google knows thic too

87-score.png

Google knows thic too

as does the bible - at least if you look at the king james translation

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Psalms-90-10/

Danke, Werner!

But what can you (and Mo) say about the Moliere task and it's solution in Mathcad?

But what can you (and Mo) say about the Moliere task and it's solution in Mathcad?

Is no task/problem at all. At least it wasn't meant as such as the people of that time knew the conversion factors of different currencies.

It would be more natural to solve all equations at once and use the results as units.

money2.png

Or better:

money3.png

Thanks!

I ask please:

1. Edit the english translation of 7 citations

2. Solve this problem

Remark: In the English translation of the novel "The Gambler" by Fyodor Dostoevsky these "calculations", alas, are omitted.

In the story we can be found below seven citations, which are encrypted European currencies during the writing of the novel (the second half of the 18th century).

Сitation 1
- You will immediately receive them, - the general replied, blushing a little, rummaged in his office, handled in the book, and it turned out that he was my money about a hundred and twenty rubles.
- How are we to count - he said - should translate into thalers. Why, take a hundred thalers, in round figures, - the rest, of course, will not be lost.
and further
You should dopoluchit with me these four friedrichs and three florins on the local calculation.
Сitation 2
Pauline just got mad when I gave her all but seven guilders.
and further
Listen and Learn: Take these seven florins and go to play, I win at roulette how much more can; me the money in whatever happens now needs.
Сitation 3
I started with what took five friedrichs, that is fifty guilders, and put them on well.
Сitation 4
- Yes, sir, that went and won twelve thousand florins! What is twelve, and gold, then? With gold will almost thirteen. This is how much our way? Six thousand, whether that be?
I reported that in seven passes, but by today's exchange rate, perhaps, to reach eight.
Сitation 5
- Oui, madame, - politely confirmed kruper - as well as every single rate should not exceed the time four thousand florins, according to the ordinance, - he added a caveat.
I set the permission of the largest rate of four thousand guilders, and lost.
Сitation 6
She passes to get exactly four hundred and twenty friedrichs, that is four thousand florins and twenty friedrichs.
Сitation 7
- Pauline, that's twenty-five thousand florins - fifty thousand francs it even more.
In the English translation of the novel "The Gambler" these "calculations", alas, are omitted. At the top you can see the translations of quotations from the Russian version of the story made by the authors of this article.

My solution

3-Dostoevsky.png

Top Tags