cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Chemistry Notation

RWickrama
6-Contributor

Chemistry Notation

Does Mathcad Prime 4.0 has the functionality similar to Ctrl+Shift+J.

After a long spell, I am back to using MathCAD. Please help.

13 REPLIES 13

@RWickrama wrote:

Does Mathcad Prime 4.0 has the functionality similar to Ctrl+Shift+J.

No!

But see one my chemical calculation in Prime

8-Izv-Koag-Units-Program.png

Thanks for the reply. Since conversion to Prime products, I am too sluggish in Mathcad. I don't get to do what I need and decided to wait.

After a long spell of silence, I started last week. I came across with this chemistry-notation.

Chemistry notation is useful in my mechanical engineering calculations: for now, I will wait.

In your sample, I see your variables in square brackets; e.g. [Mg++].

Is it not a matrix variable? If so, how did you create it?  Please reply.

Mathcad Prime 4.0

@RWickrama wrote:

In your sample, I see your variables in square brackets; e.g. [Mg++].

Is it not a matrix variable? If so, how did you create it?  Please reply.

I copy variables with square brackets from one old sheet and edit it in one new sheet! 

Thanks Valery, your sample calculation posted helped me to defining variables in my Mathcad prime calculation procedures.

@RWickrama wrote:

Thanks Valery, your sample calculation posted helped me to defining variables in my Mathcad prime calculation procedures.

I am glad to help you!

It is one example from my last book "Equilibria in Electrolyte Solutions: Calculations with Mathcad" (see please the picture). I have a plan to translate it into English! But have not a time. And Ai nou Inglish very plokho! I need one English editor or coauthor! 

1021945160[1].jpg

First let me say that staying with Mathcad 15 is a very good idea anyway, as Prime still is far below MC15 when it comes to functionality, speed or ease of use.

But you can create variable with "odd" characters like square brackets, if you first type the variable name in quotation marks and then delete the quotes.

So the sequence "[abc]<del> should give you a valid variable name [abc] you then can subscript as  needed.

This is similar to ctrl-shift-k in Mathcad 15.

RWickrama
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

I guess, I learned somethin useful.

Thank, Werner! I always forget about this trick (first type the variable name in quotation marks and then delete the quotes) and just copy the chemical and others nonstandard variables from old documents. This one line variables for example: mol/L (molarity), g/mol (molar mass), mol/kg (molality), J/mol etc...

ChemVar.png

I'm using a small template.

ChemTemplate.png

Viktor

Prime works a bit differently.

To get a literal subscript in Prime it's "ctrl -", the control key and the minus sign.  This toggles, however. 

To get the symbol for water  type "H, Ctrl-, 2, Ctrl-, O",

Capture.PNG

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

Prime works a bit differently.

To get a literal subscript in Prime it's "ctrl -", the control key and the minus sign.  This toggles, however. 

To get the symbol for water  type "H, Ctrl-, 2, Ctrl-, O",

Capture.PNG

Thank you very much Fred. I did not know it.

Viktor

40%40%Dmitriy MendeleevDmitriy Mendeleev

Top Tags