cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Circle around an ellipse

ptc-3352045
1-Newbie

Circle around an ellipse

Can anyone help?

A circle rotates tangentially around a fixed ellipse, given the dimensions of the circle and the ellipse, and the angle of rotation,

the problem is to find the centre distance between the circle and the ellipse at any given rotation angle??

6 REPLIES 6
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3352045)

What are you defining as the rotation angle? If you mean the rotation angle of the circle, then for a large ellipse and a small circle there will be many possible distances for any given angle.

Brian Webber wrote:

Can anyone help?

A circle rotates tangentially around a fixed ellipse, given the dimensions of the circle and the ellipse, and the angle of rotation,

the problem is to find the centre distance between the circle and the ellipse at any given rotation angle??

Thanks Brian!

It is a fine idea for the Groupe Fine Math curves in Mathcad

I wiil do it!

I'm not sure why this solution fails in some areas; but you could extrapolate the curve.

See the video and sheet in attach:

circle-elipse.png

Great video!

Where's the math?

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Great video!

Where's the math?

Thanks and sorry - see the attach!

But the sheet is not ready - I would like by students help to create a curve - like here http://communities.ptc.com/videos/2082 (A Cardioid).

Top Tags