cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Colors on contour plots showing wrong.

panos.roussos
1-Newbie

Colors on contour plots showing wrong.

Hello all,

I am totally buffled by what I get on my contour plots.

I have attached the file. In the file I have also included a picture from the Excel contour plot which proves that the Mathcad plots are wrong.

Basically I have the 3 vectors defined as matrices, x, y ans z and I create the 3d matrix based on the procedure I came across on a similar plot related discussion thread of this forum.

The contour lines on the plot I create appear correct but the colours are plotted wrong. I think that the problem is that two different bands have the same colour(!) but should have different ones based on the legend underneath. This doesn't make any sense. Before I totally give up on this and continue my work in Excel I wanted to submit this question in the forum.

Also, a separate -less critical- question: is there any chance that I can have axis titles on my plots, instead of having to put text blocks all over...

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Panos

35 REPLIES 35

Werner, this is excellent! It looks good too, apart from those two yellow colour bands that are very similar to each other. I had assumed that interpolation would not be required in plotting this as the data is already smooth enough, but you were right to give it a try. Many thanks!

It looks good too, apart from those two yellow colour bands that are very similar to each other.

Unfortunately we have no control over the colors unlike as in Mathcad 15 where we can chose from different colormaps and may even create our own.

I had assumed that interpolation would not be required in plotting this as the data is already smooth enough, but you were right to give it a try.

It should work without explicit interpolation - I would call that a bug in Prime.

We see that no interpolation is necessary in MC15.

Primes algorithm fails at the ends of the spectrum.

That is odd. I created a 3-column matrix of the points, put it on the contour plot, and got a pretty good plot without having to interpolate. Not sure why the original method didn't work.

Nice approach and good to see that it works that way.

Nevertheless it should work the way it was originally setup with the three matrices as well. As it worked that way in MC15 I would call it a newly introduced bug which should be adressed in the next release.

The same is true of course for the severe bug where Prime crashes on 32bit system by using a simple operation with not that big vectors (http://communities.ptc.com/message/226620#226620)

Hope someone will be willing to report these two bugs to R&D.

Hi Roger, I can't open your file. It says the file type is not supported. I have attached the log file with the error report. I am running Prime 2.0 with Datecode: M010 (2012.10.03.002/2.0.1.35).

Oops, I forgot to specify that my file was saved in Prime 3. Here is a PDF.

BTW, this is the worksheet I submitted to R&D to report the problem. I also submitted a worksheet regarding the "not so large" matrix operation mentioned earlier.

Top Tags