cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Combining different matrixes into one table, Iteration to convergence

SFares
12-Amethyst

Combining different matrixes into one table, Iteration to convergence

Hello,

in the attached sheet i have two question. please scroll down until you see the first red arrow for the first question, and scroll more until you see the second arrow for the second question.

Q1. is it possible to combine different matrixes and display the values in a table with the heading of each column being the variable?

Q2. Iteration until convergence. i have done 10 individual iterations to get the result to converge. Is it possible to do some loop to automate the iterations in one step. please look in my sheet that describe my iteration process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:SFares)

sameer fares wrote:

Hello,

in the attached sheet i have two question. please scroll down until you see the first red arrow for the first question, and scroll more until you see the second arrow for the second question.

Q1. is it possible to combine different matrixes and display the values in a table with the heading of each column being the variable?

Q2. Iteration until convergence. i have done 10 individual iterations to get the result to converge. Is it possible to do some loop to automate the iterations in one step. please look in my sheet that describe my iteration process.

Attached find an answer to your first question, yes you can but you can't create a vector of vectors and have it be a matrix, that's what augment and stack are for.

The answer to Question 2 is yes, create a solve block function. There's too much typing invilved for me to insert an example.

I did notice a peculiar (and dangerous) thing. At the first question the value of ORIGIN, the staring index of vectors is 1. That's not the default, but that's okay if that's what you're used to. At the start of your iterations, however, ORIGIN is 0. Since this is a built-in variable if you're going to change it usaually you do it as a global variable. And I've NEVER seen a sheet where it changedin mid-calculation before, nor can I understand why you would. Very dangerous in my book.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:SFares)

sameer fares wrote:

Hello,

Attached find an answer to your first question, yes you can but you can't create a vector of vectors and have it be a matrix, that's what augment and stack are for.

The answer to Question 2 is yes, create a solve block function. There's too much typing invilved for me to insert an example.

I did notice a peculiar (and dangerous) thing. At the first question the value of ORIGIN, the staring index of vectors is 1. That's not the default, but that's okay if that's what you're used to. At the start of your iterations, however, ORIGIN is 0. Since this is a built-in variable if you're going to change it usaually you do it as a global variable. And I've NEVER seen a sheet where it changedin mid-calculation before, nor can I understand why you would. Very dangerous in my book.

I would like to see how question 1 was solved, but the solution file is too old for me to open in Prime6.  I, too, am trying to make a nice looking table from column matrices, complete with headings and corresponding units.  I know that Mathcad is NOT Excel, but I don't think I have to output my variable vectors, read them in Excel, create a pretty table from within Excel, export it and then finally import it back into Mathcad.  

That file was in "old Mathcad."  You can (for no additional cost) install Mathcad 15 on your computer.  This gives you two options:

1. Open the original file in Mathcad 15.  
  2. Convert the old file into Prime (the input/output tab, XMCD/MCD converter.)  This will produce a file you can read using Prime 6; this file may or may not run in Prime without repair.

Link for the latest service release - Mathcad 15 M050https://www.ptc.com/-/media/Files/Docs/Mathcad/Mathcad15-EN.zip

Top Tags