cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Conjugate Beam Method to calculate deflection for a symmetrical 3 span beam

JeromeHatlewick
4-Participant

Conjugate Beam Method to calculate deflection for a symmetrical 3 span beam

I am currently writing a Mathcad Prime 5.0 design sheet for a symmetrical three span beam.  I have calculated the moments and shear along the beam and have also determined the cracked section properties.  I am interested in how to include the conjugate beam method to calculate the deflection at 10th points along the beam.  Has anyone written a sheet that includes the conjugate beam method as I have stated that I can use as a go-by?

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

Deflections of a single simply supported span by conjugate beam.

Capture.PNG

Cheers

Terry

Hi,

The equations of moment with respect to x distance from left hand side are:

Capture.PNG

You need to include two more for the end moments -M.lhs and -m.rhs

Cheers 

Terry

Thanks, Terry.  I'll take a look at it and see if I can make it work for my 3 span reinforced concrete beam.

I'm also using Mathcad Prime 5.0 so there will be some programming modifications.

Hi,

The snippets of Mathcad statements work if EI of the beam is constant.  You just need to divide EI to get the value of deflection.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks for the additional information.  I have not yet tried to work this into my Mathcad Prime 5.0 sheet.  I had to make a few corrections earlier in the sheet and haven't had time to try this out.

Top Tags