cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Control+shift+J

SFares
12-Amethyst

Control+shift+J

Hello,

i have the latest Mathcad 15 that i came with Prime 6.  In the old Mathcad 15 I used to be able to do  "Control+shift+J" to create brackets around the variable.  I am having trouble with it with the new mathcad 15.

Is this feature still there? i assume it is. i noticed when i do it it launches another software called cisco Jabber.

Thanks,

Sam 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:SFares)

Ah, Now I understand.

You've got a hot-key [CTRL-SHFT-J] defined in Windows and connected to the launching of Cisco Jabber. Remove that hot-key connection and you should be done.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
VipulT
16-Pearl

SFares
12-Amethyst
(To:VipulT)

i am trying to use this feature in mathcad 15 not prime.  

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Accept that Prime is a beast totally different from 'real' Mathcad.

You can type these '[' and ']' brackets around a variable, but they will not be part of the variable name (as what CTRL-SHFT-J does in Mathcad), but instead you're creating a 1x1 vector with your variable as the only element.

If you want to create a variable name with strange characters such a brackets etcetera, type a double quote first, then type all characters you want the variable name to consist of, then delete the quotes.

so first you have  

LucMeekes_0-1583963994309.png

then you delete the quotes    

LucMeekes_1-1583964018707.png

Then you can assign a value.

LucMeekes_2-1583964056700.png

And evaluate

LucMeekes_3-1583964080389.png

Note that it's different from the one-element vector

LucMeekes_4-1583964219860.png

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, Now I understand.

You've got a hot-key [CTRL-SHFT-J] defined in Windows and connected to the launching of Cisco Jabber. Remove that hot-key connection and you should be done.

Success!
Luc

SFares
12-Amethyst
(To:LucMeekes)

Thank you LucMeekes for your detailed answers. You also taught another way of doing the brackets.

Regards,

Sam

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Hi Sam,

Beware.

Adding square brackets with CTRL-SHFT-J is not the same as when you add them with CTRL-SHFT-K.

You can test this out by trying to remove only one of the brackets added with with the J method. You will not succeed (both are removed on the deletion of only one). With the K- method you can add, or delete a single bracket, just the [ or the ].

But with the K-method you cannot create the more complicated examples that you can make with the J method. (see my screenshot of the help file further below).

Luc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

SFares
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you Werner!

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

cntrl-shift -j puts the original Mathcad (including 15) into "character mode".  Whatever you type next will be accepted as part of a variable name, whatever that character does in the standard Mathcad editor will not happen.  For example, the left square bracket "[" will usually create a place holder for a vector subscript; in Mathcad (not Prime) a period "." would create a literal subscript in a variable name.  If I wanted a variable with a decimal point in the name ("f.kohl" for example) I could use cntrl-shift-j to leave the decimal in and not sunscript kohl.)

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Hi Fred,

Small mistake. What you describe is [CTRL-SHFT-K], It toggles between normal and 'special' mode that allows you to put symbols like $, . and & in a variale name.

The [CTRL-SHFT-J] immediately puts square brackets around the selected variable, no matter where within the variable the cursor is. I seem to remember it was named 'chemical notation'. Checked: it's 'chemistry notation':

LucMeekes_0-1584031241810.png

It took me some time to understand what the OP was describing but after my fist reaction I grasped it.

Werner took it a little further, stating explicitly (and correctly) that the OP's problem is NOT related to Mathcad, and he pointed to where it might be solved.

Luc

Top Tags