cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Controlling “Areas”

AndersLüning
1-Newbie

Controlling “Areas”

Is it possible to create a scriptable object in the MathCad sheet that controls whether an area shall be collapsed or expanded in the sheet.

area is-collapsed="true"

vs

area is-collapsed="false"

I’ve tried to explain the “wanted” feature in attached file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think the most useful example is one from Tom Gutmaan, which shows how to define varibles by changing the XML.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

One way to solution your problem!

Sometime we need show in Mathcad-sheet one formulas or other formulas.

One example on Mathcad Server

http://twtmas.mpei.ac.ru/mas/Worksheets/IF_in_WorkSheet.mcd

The tip of this task: change PICTURAS with formulas.

One Picture may be empty - showes no information.

It is "collapsed area"

Thanks for the tip, I think i get the picture , but it doesn't solve my "problem".

Is it possible to create a scriptable object in the MathCad sheet that controls whether an area shall be collapsed or expanded in the sheet.

No. I have wanted to do this as well, but unfortunately it is not possible.

Ok too bad, but now i know.

You could use a conditional statements through a scripted component.

Not the best, but will work.

Mike

You can't open or close areas from within a scripted component.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

I know this can't be done.

The whole reason the application is needed is to display something depending on a result. This could be done using a conditional statement scripted component.

Pity Mathcad can't call Mathcad regions from seperate sheets.

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

You could use a conditional statements through a scripted component.

6_16_Script_Input.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Yes Valery this is exactly what I was talking about. I have a few examples, but was waiting to see if there was any interest.

You can also use value.visible depending on a condition.

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Yes Valery this is exactly what I was talking about. I have a few examples, but was waiting to see if there was any interest.

You can also use value.visible depending on a condition.

Mike

But using pictures for formula, backcolor etc changing in Work Sheet is more simple and more usefull.

See one practical MathcadWebSheet from my WebReference Book:

http://twtmas.mpei.ac.ru/mas/Worksheets/Hydro/GDF.mcd

and a picture as copy (when Mathcad Server is breack - sorry from my but more from PTC):

http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/GDHB/GDF.gif

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Valery we are on the same page, maybe my description is not sufficient.

I will create a worksheet later and post with my ideas.

Mike

Hi Valery and Mike, thanks for the useful input.

But based on the thread from Mike about "conditional statements", I think my MathCad sheet is misleading (sorry for that).

In my sheet, I will have about seven sub-calculations, each having separate input values.

The final result will be a summation of the sub-calculations.

But if a input-value to a sub-calculation is = 0 then all "in-between" calculation in that sub-calcultaion will result in = 0.

So then I will have about three pages showing calculations= 0.

i.e. two input values = 0, then 3+3 pages showing calculations = 0 etc. etc.

But which input values that will be = 0, is different each time.

Therefore I thought putting each sub-calculation in an "Area", to minimize the amount of pages to print, and collapsing and expanding them depending if the input-value would be equal to 0.

That's why I thought it would be great to control each Area automatically within the MathCad sheet.

/Anders

But based on the thread from Mike about "conditional statements", I think my MathCad sheet is misleading (sorry for that).

In my sheet, I will have about seven sub-calculations, each having separate input values.

The final result will be a summation of the sub-calculations.

But if a input-value to a sub-calculation is = 0 then all "in-between" calculation in that sub-calcultaion will result in = 0.

So then I will have about three pages showing calculations= 0.

i.e. two input values = 0, then 3+3 pages showing calculations = 0 etc. etc.

But which input values that will be = 0, is different each time.

Therefore I thought putting each sub-calculation in an "Area", to minimize the amount of pages to print, and collapsing and expanding them depending if the input-value would be equal to 0.

So basically if a sub-calculation is 0 you do not wish to display those equations relating to that specific sub-calculation?

There might be other ways to achieve this.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, if the input to a sub-calculation is = 0, then I whish it would be possible to not display those equations, and still get a printable report.

I’ve enclosed a new version of my sheet, in order to be more specific of my wanted feature.

You got my attention with, “There might be other ways to achieve this.”.

Is it possible to get an example?

/Anders

I sugggest a different approach,

Now that you have a working routing, translate each subsection into a program. You can put all the intermediate results, if you want to see, into a nested array returned by each program, or into a single array, which you can then parse, or provide table headings, however you wish. In the programs you can test for 0 and output just one value or string true, and the array if not.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I understand what you say/text regarding the function of the finished “program”.

But how I get there, is way beyond my MathCad knowledge (as of today)

Can you provide me with a hands-on example or point me in a direction where to look.

/Anders

Anders,

Something like the attached revision.

You may be able to make better use of indices in the calculations, in any case, would need to change to indices in the calculations after the sub-calculations.

Wayne

Wayne, thank you for your time and effort.

I’ll study your suggestion and alter my sheet.

/Anders

If you put your values in to matrices then it is simple to index through the columns using a range variable. You then have one set of caclulations, and it's trivial to extend it from 3 columns to 7.

Richard, I appreciate your input in this matter and the time you have spent trying to help me.

I’ll study your suggestions as well.

/Anders

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I am massively surprised this cant be done.

Mike

Do you mean you are surprised that Mathsoft/PTC didn't provide a way to do it, or that you are actually surprosed it can't be done?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Do you mean you are surprised that Mathsoft/PTC didn't provide a way to do it, or that you are actually surprosed it can't be done?

Not really suprised Mathsoft or PTC haven't provided a way to do it, but I am suprised that it can't be done.

Mike

There is no direct programmatic access to an area.

I can look at the region properties in a VBscript, but those properties do not even include information about whether it is collapsed or open, let alone allow me to change that.

I can change the XML of a region from within a VBscript, but that is only possible for math regions, and an area is not a math region.

So I see no way to do this.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

There is no direct programmatic access to an area.

I can look at the region properties in a VBscript, but those properties do not even include information about whether it is collapsed or open, let alone allow me to change that.

I can change the XML of a region from within a VBscript, but that is only possible for math regions, and an area is not a math region.

So I see no way to do this.

I knew if it could be done, it would of by now. Maybe put this request this the 'What do you want in Prime'

Mike

Mike and Richard, thanks for the time answering my question.

I got a little bit curious about, " I can change the XML of a region from within a VBscript, .... "

Is there an example here in the "community" about this matter?

I think the most useful example is one from Tom Gutmaan, which shows how to define varibles by changing the XML.

Thanks.

/Anders

Top Tags