cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Conversion of MAthCAD 15 to Prime 3.1 on Microsoft Surface

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

Conversion of MAthCAD 15 to Prime 3.1 on Microsoft Surface

I had a great deal of difficultly loading Mathcad 15 on my surface notebook until it was realized that .NET 3.5 framework was needed and though supported in the Windows 10 O/S was not preloaded.

Having resolved that problem I still have issues with conversion.  The error message I get is:

If you have any insight to fix this problem it will be helpful.

A

46 REPLIES 46

I have the Surface pro but I never bothered loading it on it as I felt it was too slow and had other glitches.  Also PTC said it did not support O/S 7 or 8.1.  Now with the surface notebook I am comfortable with loading it ans it works it just does not convert the files.

A

Resolution:

Pic_2.png

Something that may help in diagnosing the problem is that double clicking a Mathcad file name gives an error when Mathcad starts.

Mathcad starts as expected but the following message appears:

I suspect it is the same problem, that the computer knows enough to associate these files with the program but there is something lost when it tries to load them in to the program.

A

Go to "Control Panel", "Default Programs", "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" and scroll down to .xmcd. What is the current default application (if any)?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

It is correctly associated.  Mathcad loads but it doe not open the file.

A

See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2927019

You can check if you have User Experience Virtualization by going to Programs and features, and looking for an entry for Company Setting Center.

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

The Hot fix description of problem is what I am experiencing.  I have no problem with any other programs though.  Excel files do start excel and load properly as do all other files associated with programs.   I am reluctant to load the hotfix for that reason.  Note that all updates for Windows 10 are installed.  I check weekly for updates and install them.

A

Try the following. Right-click on the file and then select "Open With" -> "Select Program" -> "Browse" and point to the application "mathcad.exe" from this folder - "C:\Program Files\Mathcad\Mathcad 15".

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

I did this and no luck though there was no error.  The file simply did not open.

I created a very simple worksheet and saved it on my desktop then tried to open it as described but also to run as administrator.  There was no error message but the file did not open.  The worksheet set as my default does open but it is saved in the appropriate sub directory of MathCAD in the programs (*86) folder.

A

The following selected components you have installed?

Mathcad_15_Requirements.jpg

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

I have .net 3.5 loaded.  A later version does not work.  The other two requirements I will need to verify with my IT (they are offsite) but I suspect they are loaded as the programs work independently it is only when I try to convert a file that they do not want to play together.

A

Albert,

What ever version of MSXML is installed on Win10?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

How do I discover this?

A

Can you: 1) open and 2) convert this worksheet but from a "C:\" drive?

albertschepers
5-Regular Member

No.  This I tried.  Both programs work, Prime 3.1 and MathCAD 15 M045, but it is not possible to convert files on local drive or on a remote drive.

By the way in another thread I determined that references to mapped drives does not work on a Windows 10 O/S, the network computer reference must be used.  In this case, to convert files, it does not matter, it appears that the files will not start MathCAD and then open.

A

Top Tags