cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Copy values from Excel into Mathcad - one Error?

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Copy values from Excel into Mathcad - one Error?

I have copied values from Excel into Mathcad 15 and see one error:

E17.png

The Mathcad 15 sheet in attach

Same in Prime

E17-MP.png

3 REPLIES 3

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Thats not an error but just a side effect where you can see that under the hood Mathcad is not dealing with integers (like Derive and other exact math progs) but is using IEEE floats with all their drawbacks. Whenever you perform calculations or conversions with that kind of numbers (and you obviously do when you copy from Excel and excpect Mathcad to convert the 1E-28 notation) you can see those effects. At the level of precision provided by the program 10^-44 IS zero.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Thats not an error

but I have created one Mathcad sheet with copy coeffs from Excel I have this error

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Thats not an error

but I have created one Mathcad sheet with copy coeffs from Excel I have this error

OK, to be more precise - it is indeed an error. What I meant is that its not a bug but just some kind of roundoff/convesion error. Dealing with float numbers you never should ask if two numbers are (exactly) equal but always if those two numbers are sufficently close by looking if the absolute value of their difference is smaller than a small threshold epsilon. And I guess that 10^-44 qualifies.

Top Tags