Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Really Simple Newbie Questions

Highlighted

I've had mathcad for only a couple of days and really think that it's great. I like it a lot better than my former favorite program, Mathematica.

1. Is it possible to display an equation in the form, using Newton's 2nd Law as an example,
F = m a = (5)(2)= 10 ???

2. If #1 is not possible, can it be written like:
F = m a = 10 ??? instead of the goofy:

F = m a F=10 ????

3. I can't figure out why it's doing it, but Mathcad is putting a blank page just before the first page and just after the last page. Is there a way to get rid of this? I looked around a while and couldn't find anything for this.

4. If I have long equations, how do I make Mathcad wrap the equation to the next line?

Thank you very much!
DBD
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

>>1. Is it possible to display an equation in the form, using Newton's 2nd Law as an example,
F = m a = (5)(2)= 10 ???<<

No. There are ways to fake it, using the symbolic processor, but in general you cannot get Mathcad to display an equation with substituted values. It's been asked for.

>>2. If #1 is not possible, can it be written like:
F = m a = 10 ??? instead of the goofy:

F = m a F=10 ????<<

No. At least not with the numeric processor. The numeric processor does not allow both an asignment and a display of an evaluation in the same statememt. It apparently used to be allowed in some earlier versions, but was dropped for unknown reasons. However the results of a symbolic evaluation (which could be a numeric result) can be assigned or displayed numericially (the symbolic result is always displayed).

>>3. I can't figure out why it's doing it, but Mathcad is putting a blank page just before the first page and just after the last page. Is there a way to get rid of this? I looked around a while and couldn't find anything for this.<<

Don't know anything about this. Your work sheet should show all page breaks, both explicit and implicit. Do you see the page breaks in the document?

>>4. If I have long equations, how do I make Mathcad wrap the equation to the next line?<<

Wrapping is only possible at an addition operator, where ctrl-enter will create an addition operator that also wraps the expression to the next line.

� � � � Tom Gutman
Highlighted

Thank you very much for your reply!

It's too bad that it's not convenient to create equations in the form that I showed. Several people I know won't use Mathcad because of this, although their alternatives are worse, in my opinion. If it would show equations this way, then it would be possible to just about replace writing most technical documents with Word.

As for the blank pages, I can see the dashed horizontal and solid vertical lines. I think mathcad put them there because I didn't insert a page break, at least not intentionally. The leading blank page is the one that's really confusing. My text starts right at the top of the screen and there is nothing above it.

DBD
Highlighted

You can define functions of multiple variables.

NewtonII(m,a):=m*a

NewtonII(5,2)=10
Highlighted

On 6/5/2005 1:23:26 PM, DBDavis wrote:
>As for the blank pages, I can see the dashed horizontal and solid vertical lines. I think mathcad put them there because I didn't insert a page break,....

Yes, Mathcad automatically paginates your document.

>The leading blank page is the one that's really confusing.

I've seen this as well ....

>My text starts right at the top of the screen and there is nothing above it.

And may be the cause. Move your text down a line or two - do not put it right at the top.

Stuart
Highlighted

>>>My text starts right at the top of the screen >>and there is nothing above it.

>And may be the cause. Move your text down a line >or two - do not put it right at the top.

HAH. That did it. The top edge of the box surrounding the text was hanging over the top of the page by just a hair.

Any ideas for getting rid of the trailing blank page? Does Mathcad automatically insert a blank page at the end as a separator?

Thank you all for your replies.

DBD
Highlighted

Use ctrl+END. Observe where the cursor winds up. You should be at the marker for the last region in your document. Sometimes there are scrap blank lines at the end of your document. If so, just backspace until you arrive at the last meaningful content of your document.
---------------------
Physics: Common Sense made Obscure by Mathematics Don Sparlin
Highlighted

>>If it would show equations this way, then it would be possible to just about replace writing most technical documents with Word.<<

You may be looking at this the wrong way. The point of Mathcad is not the production of a high quality presentation (although it does do a fairly decent job on the presentation) but the calculations. When I need to write a report without calculations, with just fixed formulas, I prefer Word and the MS equation editor. The equation editor does a much better job of formatting equations, with much more flexibility (but note that it doesn't have to worry about actually evaluating any of the equations -- it is concerned strictly with the typographical issues). It's the ability to actually evaluate the equations, numerically and/or symbolically, that make Mathcad so powerful. If you don't need/want/use that facility, it is not all that useful.

� � � � Tom Gutman
Highlighted

Maybe check FILE | PAGE SETUP and see if you have "Print single page width" selected. If not, and if you have even a hair of those really long equations you discussed extending to the vertical edge-of-page line, then it will print that page as well.

Preston
Highlighted

jmG
Announcements