cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Covariance vs. Covariance-Variance-Matrix

WalterSchrabmai
7-Bedrock

Covariance vs. Covariance-Variance-Matrix

Hi

I have a question to the cvar() build-in Function. I know how it is programmed. but

in my Shee the correct covar for my covar-var-matrice is covar.

Kan anyone tell me the relationship between the cvar and my covar calculation?

Thanks

Walter

kvar_q.gif

3 REPLIES 3

Mathcad correctly calculate the covariance of two samples (see the theory here: Covariance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). What do you mean by the phrase "From Excel Sheet"?

Pic_2.png

Pic_1.png

yes MC do it fine. But I am a little bit convused with the Variance-Covariaqnce-Matrix. This Matrix is used to get the standard errors (the variances in the diagonal) of the parameters, which you get when you make a LS fit to a data set in Mathematica f.e.. And this for my example there are the covariances off diagonal which calculates as I have done with covar.

Could you open my eyes what the Covariances MC calculates and the wiki sheet is about do?

Thanks

I have done this paper here. where the Covariance of mb is so:

cov_mb.gif

HI.

From the paper:

It became apparent that the students, having used different

textbook sources, were applying two methods to calculate sc

and these yielded different values. The purpose of this article is

to identify the source of this disagreement and to rectify the problem.

That's exactly was set in other of yours questions: Error propagation - How can help?

There, the teacher mix both methods, here, shows them separately.

Those two methods are: one, from mechanical engineering, more like brute force algorithm, which takes the abs values of the components of the gradient and sum them. Other, more from chemical engineerig, which make complicated assumptions about probabilistic happenings about measures. Remember that the entire probabilistic theory is a measure theory and the word "assign" is actually "measure". What the paper do is consider both, and use the "mech eng error measure" as a geometrical error measure, making more easy they maths.

Could you open my eyes what the Covariances MC calculates and the wiki sheet is about do?: MC calculate the statical one.

Well. There are some problem also. "True" statical could be for infinites samples. So, more correct: MC calculate the statical sampled one.

Best regards. Alvaro.

Top Tags