cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creating Countour Plots (i.e. plot contours of f(x,y)=C in xy-plane)

ptc-4656727
1-Newbie

Creating Countour Plots (i.e. plot contours of f(x,y)=C in xy-plane)

I have a worksheet right now that defines a function (concentration) as a function of x and y - call it "Cg(x,y)"

I am looking to plot contours of constant concentration in the xy-plane, that is to say, set Cg = 0.8, 0.6, etc. and plot the resulting contours on a x-y graph.

I am new to the community and a beginner, for the most part, to Mathcad, so I really don't know even where to start. It is not a function that could be solved symbolically, therefore I think it might have to be plotted as a series of sequential points. If anyone can help tell me how to create such contour plots, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are several values for which your cg function doesn't converge, and the contour plot function doesn't like this. I've replaced these with zero in the attached (this might or might not be acceptable to you) - see attached.

Also you needed to change the range of the Quickplot data.

Alan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Something like this:

Contour.PNG

Alan

Yes, that is precisely what I am looking for and figured out how to get that type of plot now, but how do I specify the countours I want? For instance in your plot you have contours of Cg(x,y)=0,5,10,15,20... plotted. I am looking to get contours of Cg(x,y)=0.9, 0.8, 0.7...

Ethan Ambroziak wrote:

... I am looking to get contours of Cg(x,y)=0.9, 0.8, 0.7...

Try it with your function and see if Mathcad comes up with suitable values. I'm not sure you can specify exactly which values it must use!

Post your function (with the ranges of x and y of interest) and I (or someone else) might be able to produce something acceptable to you.

Alan

I've attached my worksheet, you will find the equation and the intended plot near the bottom. Range of x and y shown on the plot are roughly what I am looking for. MathCAD did not seem to come up with suitable contour constants.

There are several values for which your cg function doesn't converge, and the contour plot function doesn't like this. I've replaced these with zero in the attached (this might or might not be acceptable to you) - see attached.

Also you needed to change the range of the Quickplot data.

Alan

You can use CreateMesh to create this lot. (attached) I can't quite get the ranges you were hoping for.

Thanks guys, and yes I was able to figured out that I needed to change the QuickPlot data range soon after I posted my last reply. The solution not converging is not necessarily too inconvenient for me, to be honest I am just doing this worksheet for practice since I am just beginning to learn the program.

Thanks again for the help, guys! I know exactly where to come if I ever have any more important problems with MathCAD that I need solving!

Top Tags