cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Creating a stress-strain plot in Mathcad15

Threshold
1-Newbie

Creating a stress-strain plot in Mathcad15

I am in my second year of college studies and this week we were tasked with creating a stress-strain graph in mathcad. I seem to be ok with the basics like editing equations, using the solve features, symboliocally solving things, etc... However, I am very inexperienced with mathcad's graphing features.

I have been searching for a few days now, but I can not seem to find what I am looking for. I was trying to find some kind of help or walkthrough on how to create a stres-strain diagram for a given set of data. I thought it would be as simple as throwing my data points into a spreadsheet, and plotting the data. off that file (like in excel).

Unfortantly I now have 3 days to go and have yet to make any process. Anybody out there have any suggestions on where to start or links to other schools resources that I can browse through and self teach myself?

5 REPLIES 5

Attached will teach you to plot like EXCEL.

But you can learn from help, quicksheets, etc too.

Post your sheet; show me what you have.

This is how far I have gotten so far. But I am stuck using the schools VPN until later this afternoon. I'm sure once on campus I will have better access to resources that are inaccessible while on the VPN.

So I am just trying to do as much learning/gathering information as possible right now too.

Afterlooking at what you posted, it seems like I was doing the right thing overall but I cant seem to strip the column headers from my data so that I can sum up each component on their own too. Once I figure out how it is coded in mathcad i will probaly be ok. And from there I can use the helpfiles to get my fit lines and such.

My ultimate goal is to create a worksheet I can use from term to term when I begin taking my materials classes. One where I can sub in an excel chart of data and it spits out all relevant info I could have dreamed for.

1) I think you cannot delete cells in tables you typed/copied with "instert/data". So you could copy just the data (without the column headers and without the last two lines with zeros) to a newly created table and use this.

2) Another way would be to follow your creation of data with Data:=submatrix(Data,1,17,0,1) to copy just the data needed and store it again in Data.

3) As I understand you have to examine more than this one set of data, so you might consider using the READEXCEL() command to directly read the necesary data in your matrix Data. See attached (both files have to be in the same directory).

If you select a row in the "Data" table, thenright-click on the table, you get a menu that will allow you to delete cells, rows, or columns.

But there are some other problems:

Need to know the length of the specimen (so we can change displacement into strain.

Typically stress/strain plot would have Load/Area on the abcissa and displacement/length on the ordinate.(see load/displacemernt graph.)

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

If you select a row in the "Data" table, thenright-click on the table, you get a menu that will allow you to delete cells, rows, or columns.

Oops! Thanks! Wasn't aware of this. Obviously I didn't used tables that often to really type in and edit data, Just for quickly pouring in data from different sources or even data calculated by Mathcad itself.

Top Tags