cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creating random fractals in mathcad?

MathiasPedersen
1-Newbie

Creating random fractals in mathcad?

Hello

I've been wondering if it's possible to create a random landscape through fractals using mathcad?

Does anyone have a worksheet that has done this before? And if not can anyone help me get started? I already know how to create basic fractals in mathcad (So far I've made the Julia set, the mandelbrot set and several sierpinski fractals).

This is forthe purpose of creating simple fractal landscapes like mountains.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Here is a bit of code I created for cloud generation. It's from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Factal-Images-Yuval-Fisher/dp/0387966080

It also looks at fractal measurement with variable nib sizes. The diamond nib approach suffers from the problems detailed in section 1.6.5 (p64) of the book

Philip

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mathias Pedersen wrote:

Hello

I've been wondering if it's possible to create a random landscape through fractals using mathcad?

Does anyone have a worksheet that has done this before? And if not can anyone help me get started? I already know how to create basic fractals in mathcad (So far I've made the Julia set, the mandelbrot set and several sierpinski fractals).

This is forthe purpose of creating simple fractal landscapes like mountains.

Thanks in advance!

Can't help at the moment, but here's a simple IFS generator for anybody who might be interested. Needs revision and updating.

Stuart

Here is a bit of code I created for cloud generation. It's from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Factal-Images-Yuval-Fisher/dp/0387966080

It also looks at fractal measurement with variable nib sizes. The diamond nib approach suffers from the problems detailed in section 1.6.5 (p64) of the book

Philip

Wow Phillip that's amazing!

Thank you very much

No problem.

One thing not mentioned is that you do need to select a small sub sample of the Fourier transformed 'cloud'.

That is because this sort of Fourier analysis means that we get cyclic repetition, which clearly isn't fractal!

This is essentially a sinc [sin(x)/x] frequency roll off based on the square random data sample.

Top Tags