cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creation a plot with error bars (Y and X axis)

SOLVED

Re: Creation a plot with error bars (Y and X axis)

One animation of the line-problem:

http://communities.ptc.com/videos/3543

Benson Wallace wrote:

Hi Richard,

Thanks again for the clarification.

I've now upgraded to Mathcad Prime 3.0 and opened the files that you attached, but there does seem to be quite a few problems with the formatting, and I can't find a reference to Re(xBars) or Re(yBars) anywhere.

The converter usually does a very bad job in converting older files and you are lucky if they work at all after conversion - formatting being the minor problem. When you buy Prime you are entitled using Mathcad 15 as well - they share the same license file. So why not install MC15, which is the more powerful and less cumbersome version anyway, and look at the files as they were created and intended originally.

I guess you can find the references you are looking for if you scroll further to the right.

BTW, what algorithm is used to calculate the min and max slope (and intercept) of all possible regression lines?

I can't find a reference to Re(xBars) or Re(yBars) anywhere.

Re%28xBars%29.png

Moreover, the statistical methods used in those sheets are far too complicated for what we need to do in IB DP Physics.

Basically, all I need is a simple example, showing how data with uncertainties could be put into a table and then plotted with error bars and max and min slope lines of best fit. In other words, something just like the below example, but augmented to include uncertainty data, error bars in x and y and max and min slope lines of best fit (and with slightly less scatter in the data, of course!).

The only way to calculate the min and max slope is to calculate the best fit slope and the uncertainty in the slope. How to calculate that uncertainty is shown in one of the worksheets. The uncertainty is a standard deviation, so to within 99% confidence the max and min slopes are best fit slope +/- 3 x uncertainty.