cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Decimal Number and Solving Equation.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Decimal Number and Solving Equation.

Hello,

I have a question and wish learning. It's about "Decimal Number and Solving Equation"

Decimal Number and Solving Equation.PNG

Solve,x.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Loi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:lvl107)

Of course the two numbers are not strictly equal. You can tell that just by looking at them. You just don't have enough precision in the calculations to see the difference.

By default, the symbolic processor uses 20 digits of precision for floating point calculations. You can change that by using the float keyword (which does not just change the precision of the displayed result; it changes the precision used in the calculations).

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Like below.

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike

Assuming that all those digits in the starting equation are actually valid, you are better off using the symbolic processor to solve it. It's more accurate.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:MikeArmstrong)

Thanks for your help, Mike and Richard. I follow Richard's instruction and :

(1).PNG

(2).PNG (1)

(3).PNG (2)

from (1) & (2) above, what we could say between :

(5).PNGor

(6).PNG

Thanks in advandce,

Regards,

Loi.

Message was edited by: Loi Le

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I don't quite understand what your after. Can you elaborate?

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:MikeArmstrong)

After solve, then substitute, x=0 above. We get :

(7).PNG( That means : True ) (7)

(8).PNG( That means : True , also ) (8)

from (7) & (8) above =>

(5).PNGor (6).PNG

Thanks again.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Sorry maybe it's me - it is getting past my bed time.

I still don't understand what your after.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Of course the two numbers are not strictly equal. You can tell that just by looking at them. You just don't have enough precision in the calculations to see the difference.

By default, the symbolic processor uses 20 digits of precision for floating point calculations. You can change that by using the float keyword (which does not just change the precision of the displayed result; it changes the precision used in the calculations).

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:RichardJ)

I greatly appreciate your answer to my question, Richard. (A nice answer). I think I am new and have not comprehended with "float,50 ,..". Could you tell me more elaborate (as Mike said above) the following :

(11).PNG

Regards,

Loi.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That expression is actually a very good example to show what the float keyword does. See the attached.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:RichardJ)

I got it. Many thanks, Richard. And I have one more related question :

(12).PNG

Is there a "cheat" way by keystroke to simflify (13).PNG is equivalent to another ?

Regards,

Loi.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Is there a "cheat" way by keystroke to simflify (13).PNG is equivalent to another ?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean "can it be simplified to another equivalent expression?". No. At least, not by either the Maple of the Mupad engines in MC11 and MC15. If you type ,max (note the comma!) after the keyword simplify it will give you the maximum amount of simplification the symbolic processor can do.

Top Tags