cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Default Toolbar Locations

JaySmith
1-Newbie

Default Toolbar Locations

How do I set a default page and toolbar configuration so that the toolbars are in the same location each time I open/start a new sheet in Mathcad (Ver. 15)? Thanks from a newbie.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:JaySmith)

Unmaximize the Mathcad application, then manullay stretch it to fill the screen. Put the tool bars where you want them. Close and reopen Mathcad. Maximize Mathcad again. Then they should stay put.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

James Smith wrote:

How do I set a default page and toolbar configuration so that the toolbars are in the same location each time I open/start a new sheet in Mathcad (Ver. 15)? Thanks from a newbie.

I think Mathcad 15 should remember where you last placed the toolbars, so just put them where you want them to be, close Mathcad and they should reopen where you want (even if you have closed the toolbars, they should reopen in the last position).

To get a default page, make the page you want and save it in your Mathcad application directory (eg, in Program Files\Mathcad\Mathcad 15), in the subfolder 'template' as Normal.xmct. Any new 'normal' worksheet will then contain your desired default settings ... I keep an Area in mine that contains a library of utility functions.

Stuart

(It's good practice to rename the original Normal.xmct before saving yours ... just in case!

OK, sorry to be so thick here. I opened Mathcad (default untitled1 sheet appears), arranged the toolbars and then X'd out to close Mathcad. When I restarted mathcad the toolbars didn't appear where I last left them? Also when I reopened a file that I'd been working on I always have to rearrage the toolbars where I last left them, and I'm always 'saving' this file as an updated version with different file name/date. I haven't tried the new template file you suggested yet ... I'l get to that as soon as I can get this dang toolbar thing. I really appreciate your time and suggestions here. Thanks.

I do notice that the toolbars that are 'opened' and displayed as fixed windows do always reappear where I left them. It's the toolbars that are activated/selected via the VIEW - TOOLBARS menu that always appear as a single file column of toolbars (left margin) as opposed to the horizontal row display that I prefer that takle up much less screen space. Hope this helps.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

James Smith wrote:

OK, sorry to be so thick here. I opened Mathcad (default untitled1 sheet appears), arranged the toolbars and then X'd out to close Mathcad. When I restarted mathcad the toolbars didn't appear where I last left them? Also when I reopened a file that I'd been working on I always have to rearrage the toolbars where I last left them, and I'm always 'saving' this file as an updated version with different file name/date. I haven't tried the new template file you suggested yet ... I'l get to that as soon as I can get this dang toolbar thing. I really appreciate your time and suggestions here. Thanks.

Hmm, I haven't got access to my M15 at the moment, so I can't check, but I'm reasonably confident they stay put ... although I've got a different screen configuration to my at-work M13, so I may not have noticed if the toolbars aren't in the way of the worksheet. Just to be clear though, are you talking about the toolbars in the 'Menu' part of the application (eg, File or Math toolbars) or the individual math toolbars themselves (eg Calculator, Graph or Matrix)? If the former, and you run Mathcad maximized, then you may need to ensure that the non-maximized window is sufficiently wide to accomodate your toolbar placement. If it isn't then, Mathcad will move the toolbars to where it thinks they should be to fit the available width ...

As you're having problems with the toolbars, it might be worth having a go at changing your default worksheet first ... that should be less problematic!

Stuart

The toolbars that I'm refering to are the ones that are accessed via the VIEW - TOOLBARS dropdowns at the top of the Mathcad menu ribbon (i.e. File, Edit, View, Insert, ...). These selected toolbars can be 'docked' under the main menu ribbon or docked wherever you put them. The toolbars that I've moved away from under the menu ribbon are well behaved and stay where these are put and 'remember their location' when I reopn Mathcad. It's the toolbars that are docked horizontally under the main menu ribbon that can't seem to remember where they were last docked upon reopening Mathcad. The docked toolbars on my Mathcad are always docked under the main menu ribbon in a single file as opposer to distributed horizontally under the menu ribbon in only a few 'rows' of toolbars as opposed to 8 or so rows of single toolbars. Hope this is clear. BTW, I did try to create a new Normal.xmct where I arranged the toolbars how I like them and it doesn't seem to work. Hope this is clear. Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Unmaximize the Mathcad application, then manullay stretch it to fill the screen. Put the tool bars where you want them. Close and reopen Mathcad. Maximize Mathcad again. Then they should stay put.

YES! Thank-you very much for freeing me from a troubling annoyance. Thank-you to Stuart as well for your help and suggestions informing me about the template file Normal.xmct

Take care,

Jay

I just installed MP2 and M15 following a rebuild of my HD (Win 7 Pro x64). This was actually the cleanest install of these two products to date for me, I am happy to say. The only hitch was that I didn't have msxml 4 sp2 installed, and didn't know it. M15 would not run at all, but happily this forum had a note about just that, and the solution was at hand.

Now for the toolbar issue that resulted. I have had a "standard" (for me) toolbar setup that I used for M14 and M15 for years. When I tried to use it, M15 would not let me use the usual amount of menu space on the menu bar. I can't find a combo that will let me put the last two toolbars on the menu. Any combo greater than about 75% of the screen width won't work. I always use the technique that Richard mentioned...but in this case, it doesn't seem to work for me. I wound up w Graphs and Custom Chars as dialog boxes as a compromise. (Could have been any toolbar; I just settled on those two.)

The point is that M14/M15 both make some sort of decision about space that is somewhat unrealisitc.

~R~

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Ninetrees)

I can't find a combo that will let me put the last two toolbars on the menu. Any combo greater than about 75% of the screen width won't work.

I have exactly the same problem. I have to move two of the toolbars every time I open Mathcad. It's very annoying.

Top Tags