cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Defining LSBs as units

Mr.E
1-Newbie

Defining LSBs as units

I am working with some simple circuitry that generates signals to be analyzed by a microprocessor. I have set up the equations in Mathcad Prime 2.0 and of course the results are in volts. I would however like to convert the output voltages to LSBs (Least Significant Bits). I can of course simply multiply the voltage by 1024/3.3 volts and add the units in text. I would like to use LSBs because the microprocessor data sheet states A/D errors as LSBs.

I have tried to define a unit called LSB but for some reason I can't get it to work. I thought all I had to do was type in the unit and define it using the colon to the expression I want it to equal. I.E. LSB:1024/3.3V. Sometimes I can be rather dense but when I try to use this unit it tells me the unit is not defined. I thought that was what I was doing.

Once I get through this stage I can worry about whether to set up the units expression to truncate my results or round off the results. Right now I'll settle for the 3 digits past the decimal just being there.

If I was still doing this on a calculator I wouldn't have to worry about units but then every time I wanted to change a resistor value I would have to recalculate the whole thing.

If someone could point out the error of my ways I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry

2 REPLIES 2
nas0k
7-Bedrock
(To:Mr.E)

Something like the attached?

Don't forget to change "LSB" to a UNIT in the style section located in the Math tab. LSB initally is considered a variable.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:Mr.E)

If you are using 15, then try LSB := 3.3V/1024. (You want to equate the least bit with an equivalent voltage.)

If you are using Prime, then you need to worry about declaring it a unit as Norm discussed.

Top Tags