cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Deploy and Update eBook

Andrewk2
1-Newbie

Deploy and Update eBook

Creating an eBook of company standards looks interesting (ref: Authors Reference). I was wondering how you make sure users are using the latest-and-greatest?

What I've gathered is that handbooks are stored in the local user's ..\Program Files\Mathcad\Mathcad 15\Handbook folder.

Is there a way to store the .hbk on a network drive and still get it to show up in a user's Help --> e-Books menu (i.e. centrally located)?

If not, how do you recommend push / pull the latest eBook to users' computers (i.e centally managed)?

2 REPLIES 2

The only E-books that show up in under Help > E-books are those in the Handbook directory of your installed Mathcad. There might be a registry entry to change that path.

Otherwise, users can choose Help > E-books > Open Book and browse to a directory location.

I suggest you use something like a Sharepoint folder on the network with all current versions of E-books, and send notifications when they are updated, so that users know to copy them down to their Handbook folder.

Mona

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:Andrewk2)

Andrew Kelly wrote:

Creating an eBook of company standards looks interesting (ref: Authors Reference). I was wondering how you make sure users are using the latest-and-greatest?

What I've gathered is that handbooks are stored in the local user's ..\Program Files\Mathcad\Mathcad 15\Handbook folder.

Is there a way to store the .hbk on a network drive and still get it to show up in a user's Help --> e-Books menu (i.e. centrally located)?

If not, how do you recommend push / pull the latest eBook to users' computers (i.e centally managed)?

YES.

I do it on our network.

You must add a registry entry for each of the paths to your drives. (search for a post I did on the old collaboratory on this topic, or see example attached)

I give users

a) point to the C:drive (existing hbks)

b) point to H:/mathcad the users personal home network drive

c) point to //server/path/to/corporate/hbks a full URL so no need for a mapped drive! I then manage that site.

Thius works up to V15. I haven't tried it with prime 😉

Philip

Top Tags