cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Derivative of a vector-argument function

ptc-4732704
1-Newbie

Derivative of a vector-argument function

Hello!

Could you please help me as I am a newbie in the Mathcad world.
For a university homework, I was trying to solve some simple linear programming tasks (which I did).

However, something goes wrong when I am trying to find the partial derivative of a function which I define as R(y):= cT * y.

And 'c' is a 2D vector.

y is supposed to be from R^2, but I guess, MathCAD doesn't just get it and treats y as a scalar. Am I right? Is there a way to tell MathCAD that y is indeed a 2D vector?

My objective: I want to find d/dy_1 and d/dy_2 of R separately, or at least get a 2D vector containing these derivatives at a particular point.

What should I do? Is there a way to do it without redefining the function?

Please see the attached file for the details.

Thank you so much in advance!

Yours,
P.

4 REPLIES 4

Pavel Kabir wrote:

Is there a way to tell MathCAD that y is indeed a 2D vector?

My objective: I want to find d/dy_1 and d/dy_2 of R separately, or at least get a 2D vector containing these derivatives at a particular point.

What should I do? Is there a way to do it without redefining the function?

Do you really need Mathcad to do this for you? The partial derivatives with respect to y1 and y2 are just the two elements of c here, as R(y) = c1.y1+c2.y2

Alan

I don't use Prime yet, but it works okay in Mathcad 15 if the c vector is specified.Capture.JPG

It works fine in Mathcad Prime 2.0 too:

Pic_1.png

Here is another possible option that you can try,

Regards

Andy

Top Tags