cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Design of a small residential heating system.pdf

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Design of a small residential heating system.pdf

Although the subject of the file is not in accordance with electrical engineering, I prefer to publish this work of mine, realized in practice in my home and running correctly, in this "environment".

Greetings to all

5 REPLIES 5
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:-MFra-)

Nice worksheet, FM.

I'd like to adapt it to determine the least cost heating cycle for our rented house that maintains a reasonable temperature when people are awake.  In addition, there's not a lot I can do to improve insulation or efficiency, as we're not allowed to modify the property.  However, the house has retained the original single-glazed window panes and it would be interesting to see if insulating film on the windows would be cost-effective.

Actually seeing how much domestic energy people use can be somewhat shocking.  I did a quick Mathcad calculation on how much electricity our light bulbs used during a year and wished I hadn't  I now shout at the children for leaving bedrooms on, and I've removed the light bulb from the refrigerator.

Stuart

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Impressive amount of work!

Did I miss where the heat loss thru the roof and floor were?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hello Fred Kohlhepp!

I would have to number all formulas, but due to the urgency, this was not possible.

Answer F. K..jpg

Best regards!

F. M.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Thank you for pointing that out, I had missed it the first time thru.

Where I live ceilings tend to be more highly insulated than exterior walls and so are treated differently; and since floors are either above basements or "on grade" they too get a separate treatment.

Still a very impressive work!

Sincerely,

Fred

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hello!

I'm flattered, but, in fact, the calculation made by me is a simplification. I would have had to consider the convective motion generated by the radiators, and the variations in density of the air in the delimited individual rooms. Practically the roof should be warmer than the floor.

Yours sincerely .F. M.

Top Tags