cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Determine Median of a skewed population

MikeBarrFMC
1-Newbie

Determine Median of a skewed population

How do I calculate a median in MathCad for a large skewed distribution of numbers such as particle sizes.

10 REPLIES 10
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:MikeBarrFMC)

Sort the values. If the number of values is odd, pick the middle one. If it's even, take the average of the two middle values.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeBarrFMC)

Have a look at the attached worksheet.

Mike

The attached program works, but I have just learnt that Mathcad has a built "Median" function, therefore as Richard says sort the data and apply the median function.

Message was edited by: Mike Armstrong

You don't need to sort all the values to find the median, just the half or half + 1 of the data ...

Well, that's if you want to play, probably the compiled mathcad sort is faster than any for loop, isn't?

Cheers. Alvaro.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

You don't need to sort all the values to find the median, just the half or half + 1 of the data ...

Of course.

Well, that's if you want to play, probably the compiled mathcad sort is faster than any for loop, isn't?

Yes. After all these years of using Mathcad I never knew it had a "Median" function. What a waste of time producing that program.

Mike

DAEP have median function. Check Help / Data Analysis ... / Descriptive Statiscs / Location. Excel have median too.

Also the median have the propertie that minimizes the average of the absolute deviations, like the mean and others central parameters.

Problem with the median is that not always a unique median exists ... a detail, for say.

Regards. Alvaro.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

DAEP have median function. Check Help / Data Analysis ... / Descriptive Statiscs / Location. Excel have median too.

Has the median function only been added in M15 then?

Mike

It existed even in MC11; I just checked.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Little bit embarrassed I've missed that since M11

Mike

After all these years of using Mathcad I never knew it had a "Median" function.

I missed that too

What a waste of time producing that program.

Think of it as an educational experience

Richard Jackson wrote:

Think of it as an educational experience

It is seems absolutely deprecated. Can´t find it in places like http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/dtoc.htm (use Ctrl+F for search) even it is in the usual language: http://externalsearch.nist.gov/search?q=median&btnG=Google+Search&site=itl_sed_hndbk_collec&output=xml_no_dtd&client=default_frontend&sort=date:D:L:d1&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&oe=UTF-8 shows 89 results.

So, maybe the collab that was the original post can tell us for what needs the median. I assume a practicual use for the median for discarding values, but I'm usually discard a lot of values if the data set is enough big because I assume always a big human factor in measures, so can't trust very much in my techniques doing this.

Regards. Alvaro.

Top Tags