cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Disk full while accessing ...

ClaudioPedrazzi
11-Garnet

Disk full while accessing ...

Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem that I am not able to identify. It is a system problem, not a technical question about Mathcad.

Nevertheless maybe someone has experienced this and can help.  I have already re-booted my PC.

It happens in Mathcad 15, not in Prime.  When I try to save, I get:

aaa.JPG

my Disk E: is not full!

If I save on Desktop and then move the file to the target directory, it will be saved there ok.

The problem happens now for many Mathcad files in that directory (but not for all).

thanks for any hints

Regards

Claudio

10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

maybe the problem is caused by target directory path. Maybe your path is too long -OR- directory names contain illegal characters (space, national characters). Also Mathcad file name can contain illegal characters (space, national characters) ...

Simple test:

• create E:\a directory
  • create Mathcad file named a and save it to E:\a directory

Check:

• run Mathcad
  • open Task Manager
  • check what user is assigned to Mathcad process ... it is your username ?

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin

I already tested that with the name (my internal IT-service advised this): the file was not "saveable" even directly under E: with a short name like TM3.xmcd

And the process yes, it is assigned to me (at least now)

BUT: after about 1 hour (I had the time to demonstrate the problem to colleagues and to IT), now I can save. With original name.

I do not understand. But I'm happy it works again.

Best regards & thank you

Claudio

Hi,

what kind of disk is your E: ?

• is letter E: assigned to a partition created on your local disk ?

-OR-

• is letter E: assigned to network share ? what operating system is installed on file server ?

MH

Martin Hanák

You might want to check the 'rights' you have in the specific directory (a Windows thing, not Mathcad specific). It could just be that you are allowed to write new files, but are not allowed to modify (overwrite, append) existing files...

You check your rights by viewing the 'properties' of the directory, then select the 'security' tab. Here's an example of a directory that happens to be named "Mathcad":

Success!

Luc

Hi Luc

I did not think of that, now the condition is fulfilled, but now it is anyway not a problem anymore.

BECAUSE: after about 1 hour (I had the time to demonstrate the problem to colleagues and to IT), now I can save. With original name.

I do not understand. But I'm happy it works again.

I'll check your suggestion if it happens again...

Best regards & thank you

Claudio

Is you E: drive a network drive, and could it be that the directory (or the complete drive) was locked due to maintenance (making  backup or something)?

Luc

Hi Luc and Martin

I am also thinking in that direction, likely an Antivirus-Scan that is remotely started on my computer from IT.  I have also AcronisBackup but it was not making anything at that time (I did think about this possibility). The E: disk is not network, is local and internal to PC (not an USB-external disk).

aaa.JPG

The next time it happens (in my motherlanguage we say "there is no two without three" 🙂 ) I'll check for this bunch of ideas that you suggested.

Thanks a lot

have a nice day

Claudio

I met the same problem right after switching on of indexing service on my drive.

Hi Igor,

well, I certainly did not actively switch anything on, indexing included.

But thanks.

and the problem has now disappeared, after two occurrences in two different days. And I changed nothing.

Regards

Claudio

Ok,I have got your error after switching on indexation on my external usb disk. Before this I had no problems. Your disk is under indexing, look at bottom checkbox of your screenshot above. Keep in mind my finding for the future )).

Top Tags