cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Displaying numerical value of symbolic variables

lstrange
1-Newbie

Displaying numerical value of symbolic variables

Hello fellow MathCad users,

Is it possible to display the numerical value of variables in a line of calculations. For example if I was to calculate the strength of a beam. I want the calculations to look like the following:

Depth of beam:                D = 300mm

Bredth of beam:               B = 125mm

Section modulus:             Z = 1/6 * B * D^2 = 1/6 * 125mm * 300mm^2 = 1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3

Bending strength:             fb = 38 MPa

Strength reduction:          phi=  0.8

Loading duration factor:    k = 0.8 

Bending strength:            Mn = phi*k*fb*Z = 0.8*0.8*38MPa*1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3 = 57 kNm

FYI I have MathCad 15 and MathCad Prime 3.0.

I appreciate any feedback.

Liam

2 REPLIES 2
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:lstrange)

Liam Strange wrote:

Hello fellow MathCad users,

Is it possible to display the numerical value of variables in a line of calculations. For example if I was to calculate the strength of a beam. I want the calculations to look like the following:

Depth of beam:                D = 300mm

Bredth of beam:               B = 125mm

Section modulus:             Z = 1/6 * B * D^2 = 1/6 * 125mm * 300mm^2 = 1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3

Bending strength:             fb = 38 MPa

Strength reduction:          phi=  0.8

Loading duration factor:    k = 0.8

Bending strength:            Mn = phi*k*fb*Z = 0.8*0.8*38MPa*1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3 = 57 kNm

FYI I have MathCad 15 and MathCad Prime 3.0.

I appreciate any feedback.

Liam

Kind of.  Almost.  Use the symbolic keyword "explicit" ... I've checked and although it's x-rated it will show numbers even if they're under 18.

Remember that the symbolic processor is not unit-aware, which is why some of the results look a bit strange.  In fact, I'm intrigued as to how it equated cubic metres to litres ...

Stuart

Hey Stuart,

Thank you for your reply! It was much appreciated. This is exactly what I wanted. Although this feature is not intuitively obvious.

Top Tags