Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divide by zero only in a range variable

Highlighted

Divide by zero only in a range variable

I'm attaching a Prime 1.0 worksheet that demonstrates a problem I'm having. I'm defining a function with a program which tests for a zero input. This works fine when you invoke the function with a constant or a simple variable of zero, but not when the argument is a range variable including a zero value. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a workaround to this?

Thanks,

Gerrit

Tags (4)
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Divide by zero only in a range variable

Have a look at the attached if you can open it. There does seem to be a problem when units are involved.

Mike

Just incase you can't open the above file I save included an image for you to follow. Sorry, my Mathcad Prime 1.0 is off at the moment.

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike

If I vectorize my call to H(f) like you've done it works fine too, even with units. Thank you, Mike! Are you with PTC? Can I consider that this little insect has been reported?

If I vectorize my call to H(f) like you've done it works fine too, even with units. Thank you, Mike!

No problem at all. It works for me with units, but when I see a problem I always strip the units away and start from scratch.

Are you with PTC?

No I'm not with PTC

Can I consider that this little insect has been reported?

It's actually not a bug. The way to created your range requires the Vectorize function.

Mike

Against my old argument, see below. Mathcad 15 which doesn't need the vectorize function.

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike

I didn't recall that it did either. In fact, I've done similar things in Prime without having to vectorize. My general philosophy has always been "if it doesn't work, try vectorizing", which I didn't follow this time, alas.

I do think Prime is not quite up to snuff yet. I've seen a number of unexplainable errors, which disappear if you delete part of the equation and then re-enter the identical thing, for example. It's so nice in other ways I'm sticking with it, but it's been really difficult this morning.

Gerrit

I would stick with it Gerrit. Future releases will be a massive improvement.

Mike

Mike's Mathcad 15 example works the same in Mathcad Prime as well.

I was looking at the problem with Gerrit's worksheet, and it appears that the issue is that f is defined as 0 in the program, but f is a vector. So you can't test for 0 this way.

Mona

I agree! I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again for your help,

Gerrit