cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Does anyone have a solution for section, figure (etc.) labeling and numbering?

jmisund
1-Newbie

Does anyone have a solution for section, figure (etc.) labeling and numbering?

Hey!

I'm currently working on a pretty large report in Mathcad Prime 3.0 and would like to be able to label my sections, figures, excel components, tables (etc.) with automatic updating numbers.

For example:

1. Section(1)
    1. Subsection(1.1)
    2. Subsection(1.2)
  2. Section(2)
    1. Subsection(2.1)

etc...for sections.

For the figures, excel components and tables I would like to have a label like:

"Fig. 1-1: (text)"

"Fig. 1-2: (text)"

above/under the figure/excel(...)

I have tried to use excel components to iterate through the different section and subsection lables, but it makes the whole document really slow! Preferably I would also like to have it all inside the Prime document and not rely on an external document.

So; has anyone found a neat solution to these problems?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jmisund)

This has come up many times over the years. The only viable solution for Mathcad 15 and earlier is based on scripted components, and even that does not do everything you are asking for. Scripted components are not supported in Prime though, so I do not think there is any way to do what you want.

Okey, I was afraid of that so i started trying to make a variable you can iterate and use as a label instead. It kinda works.

What I have for now is in the attached file, the coding for the labels are in the margin. It is kinda messy, but I think you should be able to understand what I'm trying to do. Do you see any immediate ways to improve it?

Edit:

Yes, I know it is weird to use variables as section headers, but if you have to, why not?

You could probably put the label in the margin too, and only include for example:

"This_section_is_empty="

in the actual document and view it as:

"This_section_is_empty=[2 0]"

Not much more work, but you'll have to write the label name twice.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jmisund)

Maybe something with strings.

Yeah, that could be an improvement.

Top Tags