cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Doubts regarding Minimize function

VishnuGopalakri
1-Newbie

Doubts regarding Minimize function

Hello All

I am new to mathcad and I am working with the minimize function to get an appropriate value of A to get the minimum torque.I have given torque as an objective function.I have a few questions on this.

1.I am not sure where do you place the objective function in a mathcad worksheet?.

2.Also is it permitted to use an If statement inside a solve block?

I have attached my worksheet as it is giving me an error

4 REPLIES 4

First you haven't defined a function.

A function must start out like T(A) :=

At that point, whatever you put into T(insert number here)= will get evaluated and you'll get a number back.

(Note the differences in the equality signs above

:= (with the colon in front thay you may not type to get) is a declaration--make the LHS be the RHS

= (what you get with the equal sign on the keyboard) means evaluate the LHS and report a value

= (what you get with Cnrtl 😃 is a constraint in a solve block.

So what you put in the solve block is not a function. The objective function would go above the solve block.

The rest of you block confuses me. You put a lot of constrains on a bunch of theta's (2 thru 7) but you're not asking Mathcad to solve for them, you want to minimize A. At this point, if your guesses satisfy the constraints, these numbers won't be changed, and the short answer to minimize is A=0.

Thank you so much Fred for the reply.Is there any sample program with a minimize function that I can look at as I new to mathcad.

There are examples in the help files. (the question mark in the upper right corner.)

The rest of you block confuses me. You put a lot of constrains on a bunch of theta's (2 thru 7) but you're not asking Mathcad to solve for them, you want to minimize A. At this point, if your guesses satisfy the constraints, these numbers won't be changed, and the short answer to minimize is A=0.

or any other value. With the given values the function would be T(A)=0 as all coefficients compute to zero.

Top Tags